• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected louche.

EvergreenDan

Louche comes from oils in the alcohol coming out of suspension. Same thing happens with non-chill filtered spirits when cold water is added. GNS is most likely not filtered at all. Was the water you added at room temperature or taken from the refrigerator?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

What Nick said.

I'd expect the louche to go away if you added a bit more high-power alcohol.  I'm led to believe the oils would then go back into suspension.

I sometimes get a bit of louching when I'm taking my straight-from-the-still gin (at 70%+) down to 'normal' 43% or so.  It goes away if I mix the gin and water a little more by shaking the bottle a little, but it's quite pretty.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory