• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cracked Cake

liuzhou

I am not a baker. I have recently started bread, but am still very much a neophyte.

Today, I found myself with a surplus of bananas and decided to try making some "banana bread". I don't consider it to be bread at all, but rather, cake.

Whatever, I found a recipe that sounded like something I could handle, bought what I didn't have and set to work. The kitchen smells great and something cake like has emerged from the oven. It doesn't matter at all - I will be the only one eating it - but, as you can see it is rather cracked on top.

banana bread.jpg

I'm just wondering what caused that and what I should do in future if I feel the need to create a perfect un-cracked cake. I'm sure some of you master bakers know the answer.

Edited by liuzhou
forgot to insert image. duh! (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It can be a lot of things - oven too hot, too much raising agent, unbalanced recipe... Although I find that most cakes crack anyway.

You can control it, however, by taking the cake out a bit before half-way though baking (don't leave the oven door open) and slashing the crust being formed with a knife.  It makes it look more appealing.

To be honest though, banana bread is never going to win any beauty pageants.  Either slice the dome off the top and flip it upside down, or slather it with icing of some sort.

Or do like I do: Slice a 1cm layer, soak it in flavoured syrup and use it as part of a more elaborate cake.

Edited by jmacnaughtan
Grammar (log)
  • Like 1

I would be highly suspicious of a banana bread that did not have a crack somewhere.   If it is baked in a loaf pan the crack tends to be more centralized and hence less unseemly as it were. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog