• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panasonic Countertop Induction Oven

palo

7 hours ago, palo said:

http://panasonic.ca/cio/index.html?gclid=CM7K7s-K_dACFcS1wAodV3wP-g#hero

I'm mystified, the blurb states it uses a combination of infrared and induction to work BUT uses an aluminum pan. I'm not impressed by its price either $699 CDN

Unless I'm missing something, this won't find a home on my countertop!

p

The aluminum pan is not really mysterious since it is not in direct contact with the induction unit. It is the grill pan that is heated by induction. It must be used for everything. So it is the grill pan that transfers heat to whatever dish you use. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It is possible to use induction to heat up aluminum, but that requires ultra high frequency technology which is not what this CIO oven uses. 

Anna N is correct on how this Panasonic oven works.

I am curious if this oven will be good for cooking larger meals.

Your electric outlet can support only about 1800 watts of cooking power. Divide that by half for the top heating elements, and half for the bottom induction cooktop.

By definition, infrared electric heat inside an oven is almost 100% efficient, and induction is some what less efficient because part of the power goes to driving the induction electronics. In this case another part of the power will be needed to heat up all the metal inside.

dcarch

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

The aluminum pan is not really mysterious since it is not in direct contact with the induction unit. It is the grill pan that is heated by induction. It must be used for everything. So it is the grill pan that transfers heat to whatever dish you use. 

So it's sort of like a hotplate or the element on an electric stove? Not too efficient to my way of thinking, the whole premise behind induction is that it directly heats the cooking vessel rather than something else heating and through conduction heating the cooking vessel which eventually heats the food...and the price???

p