• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RoPot - anyone heard of this?

blue_dolphin

Yesterday, in visiting the website of a woman who authored a number of the Instant Pot Chinese cookbook recipes, I noticed she had a link to another cooker, called a RoPot (not to be confused with @rotuts xD), and a number of recipes using the RoPot.

I was intrigued that deep frying was listed as one of the functions and thought it might be useful to have a small fryer that could also serve other functions so I visited the website and watched some of the videos.

The website says the RoPot has an "intelligent temperature control system" but from reading and watching the videos, I can't see that there is any way to set the temp, nor did I find what temperatures it uses for its various functions.

The RoPot has an insert pan with a smooth bottom and one with a stirring hook.  There's one heating element in the base and another in the lid.  With the lid closed, the stir fry function seems more like stir-steaming, but maybe the lid heating element generates enough heat to make a difference.

There are a number of videos produced by the company, showing it in action.  Cooking asparagus:

An intro video:

I can't see that this has any appeal for me, with the lack of temp control.  Also, since there's a heating element attached to the lid, it's fixed to the base with a hinge so it can't be removed for washing.  No thank you!  

From the top photo on the RoPot home page, it seems they are targeting people who sip tea from fine china whilst reading high fashion magazines.

Does the RoPot appeal to anyone else?  

Edited to add:  It's currently "on sale" for $279 USD

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add price (log)
  • Like 1

Do not want to own one but that's not the same as saying I would not like to play with one.   Not sure where I might get some "asparacus".   The steak looks decidedly steamed.  And I think stir-frying involves something more than just tossing things around!   Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I can't focus on anything else besides the fruit (?) to the left behind the woman.  Are they apples?

I get distracted easily lol.

Too funny!  I didn't notice them as I was fixated on the wine bottles!

Edited to add:  And the Bailey's xD

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Too funny!  I didn't notice them as I was fixated on the wine bottles!

Edited to add:  And the Bailey's xD

I couldn't take my eyes off the piece of asparacus that stayed under the hinge of the lid for the duration of the cook.  

If there was literally a chef at my home, she would clean up that asparacus.

Some folks think I'm hyper-critical but I can't take any of it seriously until she ties her hair back.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fernwood said:

I couldn't take my eyes off the piece of asparacus that stayed under the hinge of the lid for the duration of the cook.  

If there was literally a chef at my home, she would clean up that asparacus.

Some folks think I'm hyper-critical but I can't take any of it seriously until she ties her hair back.

I know, I kept watching that piece of asparacus, too!  At least it didn't get smashed by the lid into asparamush!

And the hair, too.  I one of the videos, she says something about people complaining about cooking smells getting in their hair and I wanted to say  - no appliance needed  -  just get yourself a rubber band!

• Like 1

Cooking smells getting in her hair is nothing compared to her hair getting in her cooking.  Ugh.  Imagine running into a strand of that wrapped around your asparacus!   Yes, i would be "asparcussing: for sure..

• Like 2

There are several similar units on the market and I think they cost less. (Except for one that is more sophisticated and costs a lot more)

I saw one demonstrated at Costco or Sam's last year and while it has some attraction, not enough for me to bite and I am a sucker for "interesting" appliances.

Also, I already have a heavy duty deep fryer, several electric cookers, two electric pressure cookers that have multiple functions. (One is a Farberware made twenty years ago when no one was interested in cooking under pressure...

The demo included scrambled eggs.  They looked fine but were like chewing rubber.  They did green beans "almondine" NO THANKS!  Cooked skirt steak - SKIRT STEAK IS TENDER no matter how it is cooked!!  This was NOT.  It was stringy and chewy although the teriyaki seasoning was tasty, it came out of a bottle.

We walked away before they opened the one with the cauliflower.  We also missed the chicken tenders.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Do not want to own one but that's not the same as saying I would not like to play with one.   Not sure where I might get some "asparacus".   The steak looks decidedly steamed.  And I think stir-frying involves something more than just tossing things around!   Thanks for sharing.  

Don't you know?  Asparacus was an OG Roman foodie dude, BFF of Martial.

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 4