• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

Okay, so +1 on adding fat. Tonight, in an attempt to have a quick dinner, I made the first off-the-shelf canned soup I've made in years -- a tomato bisque. Sweet Jesus, they added so much sugar to it that it tasted like borderline tomato sorbet base. I'm not against adding sugar to counteract acidic ingredients like tomatoes and help round out the flavor, but this was insane. So I upped the salt content to round things out (salt, fish sauce, usukuchi soy sauce) and then added some cider vinegar for brightness. That balanced everything out, but while the intensity of flavors was balanced, the salt/sugar were still too intense. So I added in a swirl of cream and a couple pats of butter and things finally reached an acceptable level. It was a lot of doctoring for a can of soup, but oh-so necessary.

btbyrd

btbyrd

Okay, so +1 on adding fat. Tonight, in an attempt to have a quick dinner, I made the first off-the-shelf canned soup I've made in years -- a tomato bisque. Sweet Jesus, they added so much sugar to it that it tasted like borderline tomato sorbet base. I'm not against adding sugar to counteract acidic ingredients like tomatoes and help round out the flavor, but this was insane. So I upped the salt content to round things out (salt, fish sauce, usukuchi soy sauce) and then added some cider vinegar for brightness. That balanced everything out, but while the intensity of flavors was balanced, the salt/sugar were still to intense. So I added in a swirl of cream and a couple pats of butter and things finally reached an acceptable level. It was a lot of doctoring for a can of soup, but oh-so necessary.