• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone used dry-aged beef trimmings as a seasoning?

paulraphael

Last year I had a beef chuck eye dry-aged, and did all the trimming myself. It was only a 4-week age, so the trim wasn't moldy. Just desiccated, and deeply funky. It seemed like too much flavor to throw out, so I bagged it and threw it in the freezer.

This holiday I'm going to sous-vide some chuck steaks, and didn't plan it far enough ahead to get the beef aged. So I'm thinking about doing something with that trim.

Has anyone tried to make an infusion with the trim? Or found another way to get good flavors out of it?

Notes from the underbelly

Just now, Paul Fink said:

To me that sounds like a bad idea. The trimmings are to get rid of questionable meat.

I won't save them.

Is it really questionable or simply dessicated?  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's an earlier discussion (also started by @paulraphael.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Maybe salt it, run it through a fine mesh grinder and then to the sv treatment or just render over low flame. Strain and mix with unsalted butter and black pepper/herbs to make "dry aged compound butter" ...

• Like 1

Incidentally, I bought this yesterday in Seoul. It's Gochujang mixed with roasted beef drippings (to intensify the flavor in other dishes). Could be an idea as well: Render of high heat (maybe with garlic?), add some soju and regular Gochujang, strain and reduce to your desired consistency ...

WP_20161216_07_42_47_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

In the past, I have used aged trimmings in a "mini-stock"...  I minced, sauteed in a bit of grapeseed oil until nicely browned (doesn't take long since the water had already been removed) then added some cold water and simmered for about an hour....  made a very intensely beefy broth which I then added other stuff to make the final sauce.

As @paulraphael mentioned, I wouldn't do it if the trimmings were moldy, but if they're just dessicated, it worked fine.

• Like 3