• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

gfron1

Starting a high profile new restaurant (after closing another)

Congratulations. What an inspiring review. 

• Like 1

That's a great review.  Congratulations!

• Like 1

That was one wonderful review!  I should so much like to eat there.  Once I was once in St. Louis for a conference in the 1980's (dinner was not memorable, probably OK) but the odds of my returning there are approximately between none and zero, as they say.

What I picked up on is that the tips are included in the price.  Having to tip is one reason why I don't eat out.

On 2/22/2018 at 4:49 PM, gfron1 said:

A review of Squatters Cafe from a local reviewer who also sits on the JBF Awards Committee.

I expected more stars, based on the write-up! Your food sounds and looks wonderful, so creative and such powerful selection/sourcing of ingredients. 

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I expected more stars, based on the write-up! Your food sounds and looks wonderful, so creative and such powerful selection/sourcing of ingredients. 

His reviews include facility and service, and we're a counter service cafe in a shared facility of which we have no control. It bodes well for Bulrush when we have full control.

• Like 5

A very nice review... even if he did call that sunny-side-up egg in the photo "over-easy". :P :D

This is a wonderful thread, thank you for sharing. I too, share concerns about the glass floor. Though I love the idea, I think the upkeep will be tremendous. When I think about getting streaks out of a glass tabletop, the dirtyness that is just a fact of life on serving floor (and the mops that clean them), the possibility for chips/cracking, plus the sound reverb from such a hard surface, I would recommend either forgoing or making it a highlighted and untrafficked spot in the room.

Not to mention, it would be really hard to get the lighting on both floors just so. Could you have a glass walled room (like a wine room?). You could have a chef's table of sorts, surrounded by edibles...THAT would be cool (at least to me).

But congrats on the great press and the successful opening of the first place. How do you intend to manage both? Seems like that would be incredibly hard, given that you want to be so hands on in Bulrush. Not trying to knock you down, but running 1 restaurant is hard, can't imagine doing two (particularly with one being an intimate space).

• Like 1

Thanks and welcome to the forum @TechieTechie

HERE's the second critical review. St. Louis has a lot of food media, but only two critical reviewers. So we passed the test with both of them!

• Like 17

Rob.  Fabulous. Once again congratulations. And nobody deserves them more than you. You still put us all to shame with how much you do with so very little in terms of equipment and gadgetry.  That sweet potato hash ...  OMG. 

• Like 2

Rob, what a great review... I'm so happy for you!  I wish I lived closer so that I could stop by and try everything!

• Like 1

Congratulations!  I want to eat it all.

• Like 1

What a wonderful review.  Sure wish you weren't so far away.  If you were closer, I'd surely be stopping by regularly for the bacon Kouign Aman.  And the yogurt.  And many other things.

• Like 1

Superb reviews. On my list when I go up for a Cards game this summer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What a wonderful review.  Sure wish you weren't so far away.  If you were closer, I'd surely be stopping by regularly for the bacon Kouign Aman.  And the yogurt.  And many other things.

I think its funny that the reviewers never ask me what I think is best. If they did I would almost always tell them the less flashy, less instagrammable, less quirky items. I've been devouring the yogurt lately. There's just something about the flavors and textures that we're making that really is satisfying to me.

• Like 3

@gfron1  My sister and BIL are on their way home from the south-west and I know they are going through Missouri on their way.   Last I heard they were in New Mexico.  Anyway, I told them about your place  and I'm hoping they will be close enough to stop in.  Mind, I have no idea of the route they are taking so dont' know if that will happen but I hope so.

• Like 2

What a great write-up :)  Congratulations Rob!

• Like 1