• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

gfron1

Starting a high profile new restaurant (after closing another)

3 hours ago, gfron1 said:

What's fun is that we cut it open for the picture. The guest will just see two or three beets on their plate and not know what's inside until they cut in.

I totally want to know the secret. :D That's such a fun concept.

• Like 1

Just wrapped up our first week. Very exhausted. I love the energy of creating everything new balanced with the fear of making it (or not), but the hours are long. Very long. HERE's another fun article about the opening. Apparently my challenge will be to get folks in for breakfast. Lunch did fine every day but breakfast was only good on Monday and Friday. It'll get there with word of mouth. Every guest has been super excited by the food.

Hash - Duck confit, 100 layer apple, sweet potato dressed in cayenne maple, real wild rice, egg

SquatHash.thumb.jpg.2d11ec148fed9cf6a588f92ba8fd970a.jpg

Callas - Missouri jasmine, Minnesota wild rice, sorghum syrup. Sorta like a rice beignet.

SquatCallas.thumb.jpg.1b333fed68315bd3797d1b7588ddd3de.jpg

Root Marrow - Asian seasoned roasted root vegetables, hollowed and filled with carrot or beet hummus; carrot halwah, seeded crisps

SquatRoot.thumb.jpg.4af35e9ac8bf2e725313ebc8dff9fb6e.jpg

A little snack for myself - marigold caramel on my fresh made english muffin.

SquatCaramel.thumb.jpg.34ddeec14cdf259d8d3f6aa7ef9f6b95.jpg

• Like 17

That is a gorgeous egg. (I mean, it all looks good, but the egg is particularly photogenic. :) )

I have friends in St. Louis, I need to send them your way.

• Like 2

"Breakfast, Lunch and Whimsy" - what a great title for that article!  I liked the food descriptions and photos. I'd be all over that yogurt in a take-away jar - especially with a white ball that turned out to contain huckleberry sauce.:) Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted.

• Like 2

I LOL'd at "Sidewalk Tart." 

That probably means I've lived in sketchier neighbourhoods than you have. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Minnesota Wild Rice, one of my states exports that I'm not a particular fan of - is it popular in Missouri?

56 minutes ago, Raamo said:

Minnesota Wild Rice, one of my states exports that I'm not a particular fan of - is it popular in Missouri?

There's a number of different types, and quite frankly I'm a fan of all of them, but my favorite is the pale colored wood parched variety...typically the most expensive. Almost looks like sticks instead of the slick black long grains.

• Like 1

Your food looks so delicious!  My wife would probably go nuts for that root marrow.  The breakfast hash is more my style, and with duck..?  *steals the plate and runs off*

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 11:29 AM, MrSpiffy said:

Your food looks so delicious!  My wife would probably go nuts for that root marrow.  The breakfast hash is more my style, and with duck..?  *steals the plate and runs off*

Sounds like you would like my grits special today - Fitz's (a local company) root beer braised lamb neck grits with smashed fried potatoes.

In other news...fingers crossed everyone...

ParkFloorPlan.thumb.jpg.718501306b910fee1d2eb63356386809.jpg

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@gfron1 How many seats?

24, plus a dozen at the bar, plus cocktail tables and outdoor seating in season. The concept has always been that I want direct contact with each dinner customer - no servers, no need to do any more than reach across the counter to give them their plate. 24 is about all I and my sous can handle at maintain the quality we expect.  Bar customers will get small plates and possibly prefix menus.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

In other news...fingers crossed everyone...

All digits crossed for you. 

• Like 2