• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a high profile new restaurant (after closing another)

gfron1

19 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Not ignoring your comment Teonzo...just paddling as fast as I can upstream. Today was media day and the first local article is already out HERE. Great pics.

Don't worry about me, you have much much more important things to care about in the next month!

Have as much fun as you can! The opening weeks are super hard work, but can be fun if faced with the right attitude. There aren't many openings in a chef's career, so get the most out of it!

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

Last two local articles. This first one is glowing, which is amazing because I started off on the wrong foot with this writer a few years ago:

HERE

And this one from our the Post-Dispatch, our big paper

HERE

I have a couple of slower days now, so I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts later today or tomorrow about the process.

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Both articles are wonderful.

I love the photography on your web site. The only thing missing on your web site is a menu. Is that intentional? 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Both articles are wonderful.

I love the photography on your web site. The only thing missing on your web site is a menu. Is that intentional? 

Yes because we would be changing it almost daily.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Yes because we would be changing it almost daily.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wonderful article by George Mahe, Rob!

The Post-Dispatch piece is blocked...says I am using an ad blocker.  I am not.*  One less rag I would ever wish to read.

*I do use an ad blocker on my iPad.  But this is not my iPad.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had to turn off AdBlock and Ghostery, and then disable the native content blocking in Firefox as well. Ordinarily I don't bother, but I reasoned that I was unlikely to ever visit that site again...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It all looks, beautiful. I'm glad to see all the great publicity!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What gorgeous photos - they did a beautiful job capturing the various textures and especially the glow of the natural woods.  I liked the linked photos to their party that shows people enjoying the space, the food, drinks and each other. 

I really need that coffee table ....and someone to come in and present me with an after dinner experience on the regular 🙃

When you have a moment,  a couple of questions based on previous discussions here.  First, what did you decide to do about music?  From listening to some of Dave Arnold's rants on Cooking Issues, it seems like such a difficult thing to manage both control and rights. 

Second, you mentioned the potential use of Alice Ballard's meditation bowls.  I'd love to see how you will use them.  After you mentioned her, I purchased a few of them myself and love their shapes, textures and colors.

250581420_IMG_0678(1).thumb.jpg.b8968f9d38d25f04a36bf559720beb0b.jpg

• Like 4