• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a high profile new restaurant (after closing another)

gfron1

Wow - you put so much thought and creativity into the project. One often has to point things out to people to help them have a full experience - ex : the wall. Like Vespertine (EOM's design) the elements Eric put into the design are lost conceptually when a guest experieces the space.. Perhaps on your website (in all your spare time) you could guide the "common folk" through the aesthetics. I say that in seriousness. BEST! 

It's going to be (already is) beautiful! Sorry if you said this before, but what is the wood in use for the back bar and the bar? The color contrasts are striking.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Wow - you put so much thought and creativity into the project. One often has to point things out to people to help them have a full experience - ex : the wall. Like Vespertine (EOM's design) the elements Eric put into the design are lost conceptually when a guest experieces the space.. Perhaps on your website (in all your spare time) you could guide the "common folk" through the aesthetics. I say that in seriousness. BEST! 

Actually I have already started what I'm calling our White Paper, where I can talk about the various concepts and highlight the numerous artisans we have involved in the project. I don't want to be a classroom when people come to dinner so i want to be able to hand them or email them the nitty gritty for folks who want to know more.

• Like 5

Today we added color. We did a 12 color drip wall using the colors of wild persimmon. We're all exhausted but what a great opportunity for staff and spouses to break a sweat together and build investment in the project.

IMG_20190331_105705.thumb.jpg.3a1cd147e07af99b2bb9fb4b0049e8c8.jpg

IMG_20190331_105544.thumb.jpg.d6d62e6c7dfcfe6976f1444ee8565a35.jpg

IMG_20190331_134102.thumb.jpg.bf7b9b54addbd4f8597ca8bc0020bce5.jpg

The last picture is about 60% done. A lot more paint went on after that.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Some pics from Instagram by people in attendance...

Screenshot_20190331-172839.thumb.png.7188d6ff972cd02c53c3e6bc37ca09a1.png

Screenshot_20190331-172848.thumb.png.b702c5e2a3aec13d84d1195c4f5aa3e7.png

Screenshot_20190331-172905.thumb.png.2d9c873da823368cf7b36df7c03b1aff.png

The food was from Byrd and Barrel, a really good upscale fried chicken place in town who gifted us the food to support us. I don't know if it's a thing everywhere, but in St Louis chefs support new openings.

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@gfron1,  I wonder if you missed my question up above, I know you are busy! 

Just wondered if you will have any kind of outdoor space, patios etc? 

Thanks for asking again, I did miss it. We have a really cool sign in the works. It won't be up by opening, but within the month. And there's not enough space for a patio, but our landlord (who owns the whole block) is working with the city to modify the sidewalk to give us a few extra feet which would allow all of us to do sidewalk seating. 

• Like 7

I'm not going to be able to express myself the way I want to but here goes....you know the old expression when cooking pasta. 'Throw it against the wall and, if it sticks it is done"?  That's what your amazing new paint job reminds me off.  All the ideas to create your new place were thrown at the wall and these are the ones that stuck.  The result is an entire wall of stunning ideas and creativity.  

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 4

I'd not seen that paint concept before, It is almost tactile for me. Of course I am the kind of nutter who got so fascinated with the idea of leaving the edges of white doors simply raw with varnish and did whole house remodel that way.  You must be both exhilerated and exhausted! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kayb said:

Can. Not. Wait. To. Try. This.

If you mean the painting technique, just know that I now have serious tips that will make your life infinitely easier, and the finished product infinitely better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

If you mean the painting technique, just know that I now have serious tips that will make your life infinitely easier, and the finished product infinitely better.

God, no, although it's beautiful; I am not that ambitious. I mean Bulrush in general.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

God, no, although it's beautiful; I am not that ambitious. I mean Bulrush in general.

ahhh...

In other news...On April Fools...less than a week before we soft open...we finally closed on our loan. No turning back!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Fried chicken?

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Passed electric. Loan FINALLY closed yesterday. Menu 95% done. Still to go: Health Inspection (no concerns), liquor license (all administrative at this point). Very likely will need to push our soft opening back a day or two.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Here's the start on our sign.

That looks pretty amazing already. Really happy to see all of this coming together for you, you've certainly put the work in.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

27 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

That looks pretty amazing already. Really happy to see all of this coming together for you, you've certainly put the work in.

I'm sure you (more than most) can appreciate how I lately think about those early days here on eG before I had ever worked in a restaurant. I do blame Ling, btw, for picking me for the Pastry Challenge well over a decade ago. That's the moment I hold up as the spark.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gfron1 said:

I'm sure you (more than most) can appreciate how I lately think about those early days here on eG before I had ever worked in a restaurant. I do blame Ling, btw, for picking me for the Pastry Challenge well over a decade ago. That's the moment I hold up as the spark.

Ah yes the Pastry Challenge! Remind me to tell you (when we are offline) why I started that.

• Like 2