• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a high profile new restaurant (after closing another)

gfron1

49 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I'm sure you (more than most) can appreciate how I lately think about those early days here on eG before I had ever worked in a restaurant. I do blame Ling, btw, for picking me for the Pastry Challenge well over a decade ago. That's the moment I hold up as the spark.

All of those old challenges were so inspirational and really did push the creativity. I was a little bit late to the party for the pastry challenge here but there were several out there in virtual land that I took part in regularly. You already know that because you took part in most of the same ones. The major difference being, they just sustained me. Inspired me to do things outside of what I could at work and have fun. They ignited you and you went off like a rocket. Now you're about to hit the target you've been aimed at for a long time and it's awesome to see.

• Like 8

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@gfron1, I was just looking at the Bulrush website and wondered if the location is Washington Avenue or Washington Blvd? Maybe it's not a big deal but the Home page says Avenue, the location page says Blvd at the top and Avenue below. Also, will you be adding open days/hours to the site? 

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

@gfron1, I was just looking at the Bulrush website and wondered if the location is Washington Avenue or Washington Blvd? Maybe it's not a big deal but the Home page says Avenue, the location page says Blvd at the top and Avenue below. Also, will you be adding open days/hours to the site? 

I added some verbage on the location page. We are technically on Blvd, but everyone says Ave, and all that matters is that either through google will get you to us. And I likely won't add hours to the site because the reservation system covers that as does google, facebook and all other social media. We're dinners only. 

• Like 1

I finally got some cooking done. it's been really difficult with visitors, vendors, tours, screwing purse hooks under the bar, arranging for trash pickup, and on and on and on. I find myself going in earlier and staying later just so I can shut off all electronics and have the building to myself. Last night I was startled by a noise after hours, when I knew the doors were locked, so i grabbed my biggest chef's knife and headed down the hallway being careful not to kill any staff that decided to come back after hours. After going most of the way to the dining room I heard it again, turned with my knife leading the way...only to realize it was the ice maker. I've never had one so i wasn't used to the sound. Its a good thing for the ice maker that it stayed out of my way!

But in the meantime, I made sweet potato caramel, corn yorkshire pudding, shokupan (Japanese milk bread) and my first round of chocolate (saffron, red bud and pistachio).

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

Some pics from a family soft opening last night. Our 2-tops under the cookbook library.

IMG_20190406_170142.thumb.jpg.f0ec63cbf1dbe9f976196ffbe11b181e.jpg

Bar library and aging casks (pawpaw vinegar for now)

IMG_20190406_170236.thumb.jpg.70300e1c91fb69e09d2d8709467b7e86.jpg

Soon to be used post-dinner lounge.

IMG_20190406_170246.thumb.jpg.a07f328ffcef6c41adb253a67c58e441.jpg

Where our custom salt crocks will go if they ever get finished.

IMG_20190406_170323.thumb.jpg.4a82e557e6b9a98ff0f7cf575f927129.jpg

DIning room pre-set.

IMG_20190406_170332.thumb.jpg.c2bff7da2f4bf48dabea23c4d4127017.jpg

Dish storage in dining room.

IMG_20190406_170344.thumb.jpg.ff3debd655d7bba0397af56ecb2a368c.jpg

Kitchen details - black cutting boards and custom knife racks.

IMG_20190406_170359.thumb.jpg.38fe89a21117ceb18d0933461a5ccc10.jpg

Table set. It will never be put out like this because we give you what you need when you need it.

IMG_20190406_171213.thumb.jpg.9a3fede3cbd4284c20674985af90527f.jpg

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Ah ha, finally, I know the purpose of  those wooden stands at the counter! Still waiting to see the golf tee tables in their final state.

Beautiful space Rob! Looking forward to experiencing it myself next month!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

did I miss the description of the walnut turnings ?

will we get a peak at the Menu ?

thanks for taking so much time out of you busy schedule to share. 

I'm ignoring your first question...patience.

We're really, really close on the menu, but I'm holding off because I have a designer doing something really cool that I want to show you all (You do know I show eG things before I show the rest of the world, or say things here I don't say anywhere else?)

And, I'm happy to do it - eG is my calm place...most of the time.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 4/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, gfron1 said:

And I likely won't add hours to the site because the reservation system covers that as does google, facebook and all other social media.

Hi Rob, your photos are lovely. FWIW, I don't use much social media, but I do use websites, so please rethink your idea of not putting information exactly where some people would look for it.

2 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

I will be in STL 4/17-4/18 or 19 and am hoping to get a reservation. I unsuccessfully searched for the "eG weekend" @kayb please advise!

I'm not kayb, but here are topics for TWO eG gatherings at Bulrush coming up:

PLANNING...an eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

PLANNING: chocolatiers dinner at Bulrush (I assume it's also open to non-chocolatiers :) )

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 4/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, TdeV said:

Hi Rob, your photos are lovely. FWIW, I don't use much social media, but I do use websites, so please rethink your idea of not putting information exactly where some people would look for it.

I agree.  I don't use social media either, or at least not much, but I too use websites.

39 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm not kayb, but here are topics for TWO eG gatherings at Bulrush coming up:

PLANNING...an eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

PLANNING: chocolatiers dinner at Bulrush (I assume it's also open to non-chocolatiers :) )

We chocolatiers are always up for meeting eG non chocolatiers. We are a little like the JW's that way!

• Haha 2

Check out this amazing note I was sent last night:

My family is in Franklin County. Growing up I foraged, hunted, fished, etc... we hardened. We canned. We lived so much off of the land. My dad,, has been making the best maple syrup you’ll ever taste, about 40 miles from you. He doesn’t sell it because he says selling it cheapens it. I want you to know I am SO EXCITED about what you are doing. Being a super poor kid living off the land I was so embarrassed and felt like an outcast. Seeing you elevate the weeds I ate, making it cool and culinary just means so much to me. If it means so much to me, I cannot imagine what it means to the indigenous people of the region. I can’t wait to eat your food. When I get to Saint Louis next, you’re a destination.

• Like 22

15 hours ago, cyalexa said:

I will be in STL 4/17-4/18 or 19 and am hoping to get a reservation. I unsuccessfully searched for the "eG weekend" @kayb please advise!

Bulrush dinner set for 7/13. Likely also a Cards-Dbacks game on the schedule. Thread here: 

Good to hear from you. Had missed you on here! How's life?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

That's gotta be a whole year's worth of validation, all in one paragraph.

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, gfron1 said:

My family is in Franklin County. Growing up I foraged, hunted, fished, etc... we hardened. We canned. We lived so much off of the land. My dad,, has been making the best maple syrup you’ll ever taste, about 40 miles from you. He doesn’t sell it because he says selling it cheapens it. I want you to know I am SO EXCITED about what you are doing. Being a super poor kid living off the land I was so embarrassed and felt like an outcast. Seeing you elevate the weeds I ate, making it cool and culinary just means so much to me. If it means so much to me, I cannot imagine what it means to the indigenous people of the region. I can’t wait to eat your food. When I get to Saint Louis next, you’re a destination.

This is one of the best chef compliments I ever read! You must be proud!

If I were in your shoes I would print it and hang it in the kitchen area, so when I'm cooking I get additional drive and motivation.

Teo

• Like 7

Teo

@Smithy  - thanks for the link, I guess my search skills on this site have gotten rusty

@kayb - thanks for your kind words. Life is generally good but I am very busy. My new "hobby", being a community activist and organizer seems to be taking up all my time. I still cook most nights and bake all our bread but rarely try a new recipe or do a complicated menu. Looking forward to seeing you in July. 

• Like 1

Yesterday we got our occupancy permit. Today I'm calling for our health inspection. We are officially set to open on Thursday the 18th. Even though we could open on Sat or Sun of this week I'd rather give my team more practice. Tomorrow night we're doing tasting menu only for friends so all of my new staff can see how Justin (my sous) and I operate, so they can learn how to best support our system.

• Like 9