• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Sourcing sorghum: Crooked Creek Apiaries (yes, they do honey as well), 10213 Hwy. 49 N., Brookland, AR, 72417, 9870-932-3004. That's in my 'hood, so if you need an on-the-ground presence, I'm happy to help.

I would not hazard a guess regarding "high South cuisine." If it's "high South" in the same general genre as, say, "high church," I'd tend toward saying it would include Creole elements, as well as choice cuts of meat and "classier" vegetables such as asparagus and artichokes, as opposed to more plebian field peas, pinto beans, okra and fried potatoes with onions. God alone knows what they may think it is in Bentonville, where they tend to think they're a cut above most everyone else, anyway (she said, on the basis of having lived there for four years).

If you do get anywhere within shouting distance of Jonesboro, please let me know. Would love to take you to eat at one of our hidden gems in this part of the world. We do have a few.

I'll look up Crooked Creek. And @catservant, this again is one of those things where we can use modern knowledge with a classic ingredient to bring it to contemporary tastes. I'm already working on ways to tone it down or highlight flavors within. Stay tuned.

I think by High South they mean the northern edge of what is traditionally considered South. I think they want to secede from The Ozarks by joining The South, but I won't hear of it! The Ozarks are something to be celebrated, and if you dig deep enough you can find the uniquenesses that should lead the charge! 

And, I'm assuming I'll be going right through Jonesboro as I head from LR to I-55 to head back up. That would be on Friday the 18th.

ETA: This from Crooked Creek's facebook page: 

It is with great sadness that we inform our loyal customers, that Crooked Creek Bee Co. will no longer be producing or delivering our delicious honey. The wildflowers that our bees collect nectar and pollen from have been devastated by a herbicide called Dicamba. Our bees no longer are able to produce the honey that our customers love.

gfron1

gfron1

59 minutes ago, kayb said:

Sourcing sorghum: Crooked Creek Apiaries (yes, they do honey as well), 10213 Hwy. 49 N., Brookland, AR, 72417, 9870-932-3004. That's in my 'hood, so if you need an on-the-ground presence, I'm happy to help.

I would not hazard a guess regarding "high South cuisine." If it's "high South" in the same general genre as, say, "high church," I'd tend toward saying it would include Creole elements, as well as choice cuts of meat and "classier" vegetables such as asparagus and artichokes, as opposed to more plebian field peas, pinto beans, okra and fried potatoes with onions. God alone knows what they may think it is in Bentonville, where they tend to think they're a cut above most everyone else, anyway (she said, on the basis of having lived there for four years).

If you do get anywhere within shouting distance of Jonesboro, please let me know. Would love to take you to eat at one of our hidden gems in this part of the world. We do have a few.

I'll look up Crooked Creek. And @catservant, this again is one of those things where we can use modern knowledge with a classic ingredient to bring it to contemporary tastes. I'm already working on ways to tone it down or highlight flavors within. Stay tuned.

I think by High South they mean the northern edge of what is traditionally considered South. I think they want to secede from The Ozarks by joining The South, but I won't hear of it! The Ozarks are something to be celebrated, and if you dig deep enough you can find the uniquenesses that should lead the charge! 

And, I'm assuming I'll be going right through Jonesboro as I head from LR to I-55 to head back up. That would be on Friday the 18th.