• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mega slow Sous Vide beef joint cook

stonypaul

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

in my experience mealiness has a lot to do not so much with the cut of meat , but how the caw war butchered

the inly time Ive had mealiness what with Chuck.  48 + hours at 130.1    I like adding the 0.1    i sleep better

but that was 1 out of 10 Chucks.

if you think back over time    Im sure you've had a conventionally cooked piece of meat  ( rarely ) that tasted a bit like liver.

Im guessing that that piece came from a cow that was processed after undergoing lactic acidosis  during the travel to the process

Im guessing  that in my case  the mushiness comes from an acidic piece of meat that was then SV'd  > X hours

Im sure the acid lever in cows on the way to the meat case varies

and very high levels are rare , but possible.

this study was done by my mouth which at times is rather unscientific.

Perhaps a septic cow with high lactate levels.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 11:52 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Personally, given the choice, I would avoid any cut of beef round altogether.

Balderdash. The round is severely overlooked and undervalued in the US, probably because most of the beef is commodity crap and it is very difficult to find any of the worthwhile cuts served in Europe (i.e. France) which has a formidable history of resourceful and disciplined butchery, as opposed to cutting just about everything on a band-saw and grinding the rest here.  

To wit, from a dry-aged carcass with decent marbling:

Top sirloin: very flavorful if properly denuded.

Top round: roast beef

Culotte (top sirloin cap): Delicious

Spider meat (gracilis, from the inside of the aitch bone, highly prized across the pond): Excellent flavor and texture

Adductor (more tender part of the top round):decent for roasting, given the price.

Pear (pectinus, attached to the adductor, very tender, given the price)

Top round cap (attached to the pectinus); London broil, similar to skirt

Bottom round/knuckle: if properly denuded it is a flavorful cut without any connective tissue or sinew.

Shank: long simmers appropriate for pho and the like

Marrow bones

Outside round: much better to grind that than the more marketable chuck

Eye of round: best for bresaola

Bovine myology

Edited by Baron d'Apcher (log)
  • Like 1

@Baron d'Apcher 

much of what you say is true.  butchering by muscle  rather than slab cutting is always preferable.

side by side muscles cook very differently , at times , its true

""   from a dry-aged carcass with decent marbling ""

not going to find that cut either way in the vast majority of places in the USA

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

...Im guessing that that piece came from a cow that was processed after undergoing lactic acidosis  during the travel to the process

Im guessing  that in my case  the mushiness comes from an acidic piece of meat that was then SV'd  > X hours

Im sure the acid lever in cows on the way to the meat case varies...

Steer, not cow, unless it was a dairy cow.

Regardless, lactic acid buildup in steers is likely lower as a result of stress but will make the meat tough rather than mushy. I am confident that any and all mushiness comes from too low of a cooking temperature; this occurs with SV rabbit in my experience.

More than anything, the stress on a steer will result in darker, burgundy colored meat (feverish or dark cutter) which doesn't affect the flavor exactly (flavor being a component, but not the same thing as texture) but is an indicator of quality of slaughter and consumers should not accept paying premium for meat that was not treated properly between life and death.

I saw a dark cutter arrive while apprenticing at Hugo Desnoyer in Paris and they immediately called the farmer and processor to halt any further slaughter until the process was remedied as their customers rely on Hugo's exceedingly high soup-to-nut standard of quality (animal breed, raising, slaughter, aging and butchery) and happily pay accordingly.  

• Like 2