• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hood recommendation needed for induction cooktop

teapot

Thanks to the  good folks on Egullet, I will be installing a 36" induction cooktop into my new kitchen. But I am really stumped as to what hood to purchase.  Since induction does not produce the heat and vapor gas does, it does not require high power.  The problem is I'm not able to check these units out in person so am at the mercy of wildly divergent online reviews. Please help!  

I'm looking for undercabinet with  400 - 600 cfm. Good light. Reasonably quiet and quietly attractive.  Budget in the $400 - 600. Would love to hear from induction owners about what works for them.

Smoke from grilling or searing will be the only concern when using an induction cooktop. I have a cheap hood about 200 cfm which isn't even ducted to the outside, so I don't do a lot of grilling/searing.

p

Not just smoke - cooking smells. As much as some stuff smells very good cooking, I'm not sure I want my whole house to smell of sautéed onions for hours afterwards, which is what happens if someone cooks without turning on the exhaust fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quiet1 said:

Not just smoke - cooking smells

46 minutes ago, teapot said:

I do a lot of high heat cooking...and also like to cook Indian and other aromatic foods so removing smells is a consideration for me.

Also, if one is doing any amount of jam/jelly making or other preserving using waterbath canning, a very steamy kitchen and house can result without good exhaust.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teapot said:

I do a lot of high heat cooking...and also like to cook Indian and other aromatic foods so removing smells is a consideration for me. 

Will you be able to vent to the outside? I think this is critical for odor and grease control regardless of the heat source.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Also, if one is doing any amount of jam/jelly making or other preserving using waterbath canning, a very steamy kitchen and house can result without good exhaust.  

I'll add "cooking off quantities of lobster/crab/crawfish" to that list. A wonderful smell in moderation, but moderation is difficult to achieve if you ever cook 'em in bulk. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning