• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Recall

palo

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

Feeling for y'all. I'm still using/loving my 80s-vintage Japanese-built Cuis, but hope to pick up a spare from eBay or Kijiji against the evil day that it finally gives up the ghost. 

Yeah, my DLC-7Pro is the same vintage and the S-blade is Japan-made, too.  The Japanese models are recalled, although the official page suggests they aren't.

I was going to shrug this off, but I decided to take a REALLY close look at my main blade and Whoa! it was indeed hairline cracked at one of the rivets.

Get the free new blade.  At the very least, it'll be sharper than that 30-year-old one...

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1

the implication of the first ref is that models made in 2016 don't have this problem

does anyone have a newer Cuisinart w/o a riveted blade ?

if you receive your replacement blade on the earlier side of the various shipments

would you post a pic ?

many thanks

My newer Cuisinart, the one that's even more of a PITA to clean, has a blade without a rivet. The older one, which was a hand-me-down from my parents more than 20 years ago when they upsized from 8 to 14 cups, has rivets, and is the one I registered for a replacement (and STILL haven't gotten a confirmation email, although I saved a screen shot of the confirmation webpage with the number).

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@MelissaH  

if you used Gmail , which I did  check your spam folder.  mine when in there.

I used a different email address, and checked that spam folder. No go. So if it was sent, I have no idea where it is!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

I have at least one of every Cuisinart size - bought used or from thrift stores - all made in Japan - but I've bought replacement blades - and they appear to be riveted.

On 12/13/2016 at 4:43 PM, KitchenQueen said:

----------- I am so sick of Chinese made garbage.

Do you feel that in 20 years, 69 failed out from 8 million sold garbage quality? Really?

No one talks about good products. Bad ones get on the news.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Huh.  I am glad I actually looked.  I would have sworn that my blade didn't have rivets...although I've had it for years.  Anyway, I just checked and to my shock it has rivets AND it has stress cracks. I took a picture.

PC151391.JPG

• Like 2

I too had a defective model.  And it makes me rethink the entire Cuisniart  line.  Everything I have of theirs has had a problem and usually a cheap little thing.  The little plastic knob on the coffee pot broke before the pot was two years old.  The plastic hinges and  lock on the panini press failed within  two years.  My toaster oven  looks like hell.  The white finish has yellowed and chipped around the door.   

I won't blame it on using items from China because we have some outstanding products from them.  I blame the need to make every buck they can even when they risk losing future customers....like me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Huh.  I am glad I actually looked.  I would have sworn that my blade didn't have rivets...although I've had it for years.  Anyway, I just checked and to my shock it has rivets AND it has stress cracks. I took a picture.

PC151391.JPG

With the exception of the subsidiary crack, this is what mine looked like.  Your photo gives me the shivers--I can visualize that shark's tooth in my guacamole!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have at least one of every Cuisinart size - bought used or from thrift stores - all made in Japan - but I've bought replacement blades - and they appear to be riveted.

So I notice is mine.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, joancassell said:

I can't figure out how to contact them with the information.  No email info is given and the phone number doesn't work.  Frustrating!  Never gain get anything made by CusinartJ!

Did you try the form on the recall website:  https://recall.cuisinart.com  It will take you through the process.

Cuisi.jpg

13 minutes ago, joancassell said:

I can't figure out how to contact them with the information.  No email info is given and the phone number doesn't work.  Frustrating!  Never gain get anything made by CusinartJ!

I just did it by going here .  The very first thing at the top it will ask you 3 questions.  My answer to all 3 was no.  If your answer is yes, then your blade isn't one of the recalled ones.  Anyway, if your answer is no, it will walk you through the process from there.

It's a really fast process.  Once you're done they will give you and service notification number.  I wrote it down just in case.

Edited by Shelby (log)

17 minutes ago, joancassell said:

This time it worked!  Even received a confirmation email.  Oh joy!

Well, you're way ahead of me!  I didn't get the email.....I did get a confirmation number so hopefully that will still get me a new blade.  I'm tempted to use my old one...but it would be my luck that it would break now.  

I have two blades for my DLC-7, the original and a spare I bought later.  Turns out both blades are both riveted.  One says "Made in Japan", the other just has a part number.  I filled out the form and asked for two replacement blades.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

36 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, you're way ahead of me!  I didn't get the email.....I did get a confirmation number so hopefully that will still get me a new blade.  I'm tempted to use my old one...but it would be my luck that it would break now.  

I still also have a confirmation number but no email. I may wait till after New Year's to try and contact them to make sure my request really went through...and to see if they have a guess at a replacement timeline (order of magnitude: weeks, months, years, decades?).

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

On 12/13/2016 at 2:41 PM, KitchenQueen said:

I just filed the report online. My canned reply tells me they're  sending me a new blade, and asks me to accept their apology.    Accept their canned apology?   This infuriates me.

It's ok! You can send you anger to their complaints inbox.. and get a concerned canned email back! I remember getting the exact same email from a company when I tried to clarify what the first one meant a few days later. Maybe they wanted me to think that they looked at the problem(this was not a "Do not reply email).

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

I got an immediate confirmation email on mine, but of course I used the Canadian site. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning