• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Recall

palo

Mine arrived today. IIRC I put in my order around the third week of January (Canadian site). 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

In retrospect it's only been 3 months...but man I wish they would ship my new blade.  

I'm actually thinking of just buying a whole new food processor....  

Me too, but not for the same reason. My bowl is cracked and I have no discs with mine, and when I poke around on eBay I find there are whole packages with bowl, discs, base unit etc. for not much more (or sometimes less) than the two parts I actually need. 

I'm totally down with the idea of getting a "parts machine" for when my original one finally craps out. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

In retrospect it's only been 3 months...but man I wish they would ship my new blade.  

I'm actually thinking of just buying a whole new food processor....  

Don't do it if you have one of the older ones - new ones aren't built well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had gotten an email about a month ago saying that I might expect a blade in June/July....really annoyed. Have cans of chickpeas and tehina collecting dust. Blender not a solution for everything.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Naively I  assumed the slicing attachments of my DLC-7 were perfectly safe to use.

Two days ago I was using the 1mm slicing disc only to have a plastic part break off while the machine was running.  My machine is long since out of warrantee but I wonder if I should bring this matter to Cuisinart's attention?

Sometimes I wonder if Cuisinart should stick to things they can actually make work...like the CSO.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came yesterday.  i never had any problem with the old blade but I'm glad to get the replacement.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

13 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Mine came yesterday.  i never had any problem with the old blade but I'm glad to get the replacement.

I'd never had any issues either, but looked at it closely after tripping across this thread. Sure enough, it was developing fine, hairline cracks. 

I haven't discarded it yet, and may keep it as an emergency backup, but I wound up not using it while I awaited the replacement. 

mine came today... "only" 6 months later.

it hadn't occurred to me to keep the old blade (even though it exhibits no visible 'issues') as I have no reason to think the new one won't be just as reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

The replacement DLC-7 blade arrived today. I'm disappointed that it is no longer designed to not ride up the spindle while operating. The inside sleeve of the old version was designed to lock into slots on the spindle, so when it spins, the blade will not ride upwards. The new blade lacks this feature. Don't know if this will be an issue in actual use.

Meanwhile, I just noticed that the one of the bowl's slots is cracked where it locks onto the tab of the base. It's always something....

Monterey Bay area

My replacement blade arrived today, about 5 1/2 months after the first request, I didn't get a "heads up" email. I had put in 2 requests a couple of weeks apart on 2 different emails, I am curious to see if I do get a 2nd blade. But at least I can make hummous this weekend!

• Like 1

If anyone is planning to replace their Cusinart, here's the one that is most recommended by Cooks Illustrated and is also the one that Ina Garten has continued to use for many years.  it's the 14 cup DFP model.

The unit I  have is the more recent DLC-14 cup model that I've had for at least 12 years...it is just like new and I've never had a problem with it except when I dropped onto my tile floor and broke the stem, Cusinart fixed that and it's been just fine ever since.

Also, my replacement blade came very, very quickly.

Edited by lindag (log)

i got my second blade.   I had the original that came w the machine and bought a second for two types of work.

Ill give Cuisinart some credit for not questioning that I had two blades.  I even offered to send them a jpg of both in one pic.

this version had a detailed sheet on how to unpack the blade.   the first one , a very long time ago may or may not have had this

it was less than straightforward unpacking the very very sharp blade.

most people must have gotten their blade by now as my second request was about two weeks into the notice here.

• Like 1

I had no problem unpacking the new blade and wrapping the old one for disposal. I did however cut my finger on the slicing blade as I was restacking everything in the storage corner:S. Found a small box to safely house those blades now. And hummous has been made, order is restored.

• Like 3

My DLC-7 blade (singular) arrived today.  I had requested two replacements as I have an additional blade and bowl for the DLC-7.  I called Cuisinart.  I was told they process only one replacement blade per processor.  After a bit of exasperation and hold time the representative took my order for the second blade.

Unfortunately I had no energy left to mention the slicing attachment that flew to bits, nor the rusting CSO rack.

I used my new blade for the first time today -- mixing batter for a Dutch baby pancake, which is a Cuisinart food processor recipe.  Perhaps the new blades are safer but they sure don't seem to work as well.  More unmixed junk left on the bottom of the bowl and more batter leaking out the bottom during pouring.