• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruhlman / Dalton Spoons, Utensils, and Kitchen Accessories

btbyrd

3 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Like a lechefrite?

Yeah, similar. 

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Kinda tough on a stovetop...

I have ideas. :)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

24 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Do share.  I work in cookware development.  Send an NDA.  It might be worth something.

A variant of this, perhaps?

I'll respond in a couple days—I'm very busy this weekend.

I've had the idea since I started building home foundries when I was 18 years old—that was 35 years ago! shock2.gif

Wow, how time flies!

I explain why I didn't follow through with this and other ideas in the following post:  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146241-finex-cast-iron-skillet/?do=findComment&comment=1941404

7 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'll respond in a couple days—I'm very busy this weekend.

I've had the idea since I started building home foundries when I was 18 years old—that was 35 years ago! shock2.gif

Wow, how time flies!

I explain why I didn't follow through with this and other ideas in the following post:  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146241-finex-cast-iron-skillet/?do=findComment&comment=1941404

I await your response.

You probably already know this, but aluminum is pretty easy to cast.

1 minute ago, boilsover said:

You probably already know this, but aluminum is pretty easy to cast.

Sure is.

The first foundry I had was a propane fired aluminum foundry made by Pyramid in Arizona—no longer in business.

I can't remember the size of the crucible now, but it was large enough to make decent size castings.

6 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Sure is.

The first foundry I had was a propane fired aluminum foundry made by Pyramid in Arizona—no longer in business.

I can't remember the size of the crucible now, but it was large enough to make decent size castings.

I've never done it myself, but I've spent some time in foundries that make larger foodservice items, e.g., the clamshell griddle bodies for burger chains.

Why would you want to work in cast iron if you didn't need to?

5 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Why would you want to work in cast iron if you didn't need to?

I've produced various things from cast iron (I'm an amateur machinist)—none of them direct contact food related for the reasons detailed in the link above.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)