• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruhlman / Dalton Spoons, Utensils, and Kitchen Accessories

btbyrd

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes. But it has been an issue forever and nobody seems to be addressing it.  Leads one to wonder if it’s advantageous to them to continue the status quo. 

There are surprising ## of sellers who are both unapologetic and unabashed over charging exorbitant sums to "handle" and ship small, light things.  In fact, it's a pricing strategy on TV infomercials and many eBay listings.  In both cases, I think the seller's hoping the shopper is lazy and/or drunk.

Not a great marketing strategy for a celeb chef, I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Yes. But it has been an issue forever and nobody seems to be addressing it.  Leads one to wonder if it’s advantageous to them to continue the status quo. 

Yes. Shipping charges as a profit center has been around forever.

shipping rates using the value of the order is pretty old.

the internet changed that after a while

but the items in question had to have a competitor that would lower chip[p[ing costs

these spoons don't really have a competitor exactly so they can still changed shipping by the orders final total.

I didn't realize that the spoons were perhaps made in Canada :

""  They are being shipped via Canada Post to the following address: ""

My guess is—they're manufactured by Weston.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 1 month later...

FWIW...

ruhlman.PNG

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

For reference, here are the Ruhlman spoons alongside the Kunz spoons. Apparently Ruhlman used to bend up the Kunz spoons before he had Dalton design the basting/tasting/whatevering pre-bent spoons. 

There's really nothing to recommend the small, non-strainery Kunz spoon. It's pretty much just a nice, ordinary spoon. The small slotted one is useful for serving olives or pickles or other things packed in brine/oil. The larger slotted one can be useful for serving and plating stuff too. I literally never reach for the non-slotted Kunz spoons unless the Ruhlmans are in short supply. 

592dd909276c0_FullSizeRender(23).thumb.jpg.96ee5010313e00d1cfb8ce546476ac55.jpg

Here's a shot of the small Kunz spoons next to my everyday flatware spoons. The bowl and the edges are slightly nicer, but it feels like a regular spoon. "Meh."

592ddb384c885_FullSizeRender(24).thumb.jpg.93a23d9d77a8c6f4447209537b826732.jpg

Maybe I should give it the DDF / Ruhlman treatment and just bend it myself.

• Like 2

@btbyrd

I agree

I also have both sets   

I caved for the R set w the Christmas discount.

the slotted K spoons are very useful.

the bend is nicer on the R sets

but it would have been nice if the largest slotted r spoon had that bend in it

I might take it down to the HOmeWorkshop and add that myself after a little torch work,

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I’ve had a set of the offset spoons for a good few years and use them almost every day. I was hoping to get some more but the rhulman shop seems to be closed now. Does anyone know of another way I might source some??

30 minutes ago, &roid said:

I’ve had a set of the offset spoons for a good few years and use them almost every day. I was hoping to get some more but the rhulman shop seems to be closed now. Does anyone know of another way I might source some??

The shop is supposed to reopen at some point, until then...

https://www.westonsupply.com/Ruhlman-Offset-Spoons-p/58-4213.htm

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The shop is supposed to reopen at some point, until then...

https://www.westonsupply.com/Ruhlman-Offset-Spoons-p/58-4213.htm

Hmmm!!!

It says "Limited Quantity Available" but when you click on "Add To Cart" you get "Sorry, the following item is currently out of stock: Dalton - Ruhlman Kitchen Essentials Essential Offset Spoons - Small, Medium & Large."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While it's bad, it's not *that* bad. And the spoons aren't priced like luxury tableware, so I'm willing to cut it some slack. Ruhlman should still figure out something better in the future. This isn't an uncommon problem. Mark Richmond from Chef Knives to Go makes some nice knockoff versions of the Kunz spoon, and he had some damascus ones made. They're pricey at $40, but I'd totally pay that for an etched damascus Kunz spoon equivalent. But I will not be buying any of them with the Richmond logo on the back. I'd accept a small "CKTG" or something. But this is dealbreakingly unattractive: 

richmond_damascus.png.1bee8036d79fa76c493a2cc2b113779f.png

Kunz's spoons say "Gray Kunz 18/10" on the back, but it's small and tasteful and perfectly in line with industry norms for branding flatware. No giant text; no URLs.

• Like 2

Engraved kanji are one thing. Links to your website is another matter entirely.

I have thought about bead blasting the "Richmond" off of the Richmond spoon. But I do hate having to put labor into a new purchase to make it look like it should. Especially if it's just a freaking spoon.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 6:02 AM, btbyrd said:

Small, medium, and large spoons beside one another at various angles. Small in front; medium in middle; large in back. The perspective makes them look like they're almost the same size, but that's an optical trick. I tried to more or less line them up where the handle meets the cup of the spoon.

BE1FB7F0-0CED-44C9-8DF7-48BA0B329241.thumb.jpg.e3fe570522b9d4b91471ac4127963837.jpg

I'm sure there will be another Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal this year, so if you can wait you can save.

Hi, btbyrd:

Here's a photo of the new, exclusive Boilsover Spoon pictured next to yours.  Photo credits:  btbyrds, boilsover and eGullet.

Oneida 6-pack ($5) and a vise.  $1 each plus $29.99 each shipping and handling.  Reserve yours today!

Bent Spoon.jpg

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Oneida 6-pack ($5) and a vise.

What Oneida pattern is that?

Just now, DiggingDogFarm said:

What Oneida pattern is that?

Dang, I'm not sure, I threw out the packaging.  I was in a town last weekend with an outlet and this thread came to mind.  Saw these on the Clearance table.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Dang, I'm not sure, I threw out the packaging.  I was in a town last weekend with an outlet and this thread came to mind.  Saw these on the Clearance table.

Looks like it's probably this: https://www.target.com/p/oneida-stainless-steel-savor-tablespoons-7-silver-set-of-6/-/A-11942652

Now for a basting pan with a built-in "well" to make basting even easier.