• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruhlman / Dalton Spoons, Utensils, and Kitchen Accessories

btbyrd

8 hours ago, SLB said:

I know this is off-topic, but the shipping on these is . . . weird.

Not weird! Stoooooopid!!!!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

21 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Wait until the holiday sales and order big. I'm going to get 2 or 3 more sets of the bent spoons this year. 

I've never ordered not on sale. It's the only way to make up for the crazy shipping.

I'll add that since my original post, I've bought and used all the Kunz spoons, but much prefer the Ruhlmans.

This is very helpful, your stated preference.

I'll definitely wait for the sale.  Black Friday is around the corner, I usually go hiking that day but I put the link in my e-calendar. 

• 1 month later...

How did I do?

wbuvlt.jpg

50¢ tablespoon—2/$1—from Dollar Tree. xD

I have some higher quality spoons to bend—larger Cambridge and a much larger Oneida.

:) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

13 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

How did I do?

Wow.  Good work.  Did you make a special jig or press to bend it over/with?  Wouldn't want to use a hammer or cheap dowel or a vise or anything!  Sheesh, this is technical, sort of like Jacques Pepin's new knobs for Staub.

Does Ruhlman offer a spoon cut across on a bias so that it can scrape AND scoop?  Nobel Prize material for anyone without a file or angle grinder, dont'cha think?  We're doomed.

Edited by boilsover (log)

7 hours ago, boilsover said:

Wow.  Good work.  Did you make a special jig or press to bend it over/with? 

Nope! Nothing special! xD

I bent it on the edge of a stainless steel work table.

Two bends.

I flipped the spoon over so the bowl rested flat on the edge of the table, then I bent the entire handle downward.

When that was complete, I flipped the spoon back over and bent the handle near the middle so that the upper part of the handle is close to parallel with the rim of the bowl.

:)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, boilsover said:

Does Ruhlman offer a spoon cut across on a bias so that it can scrape AND scoop?  Nobel Prize material for anyone without a file or angle grinder, dont'cha think?  We're doomed.

No! :(

There used to be available a well designed stainless steel ladle that had a flat edge so that it could be used for both scraping and scooping—but a cursory search hints that it has disappeared!

I can't remember who, exactly, sold it. I think it was seed vendors or sausage making supply vendors. It may also have been Lehman's Hardware in Ohio.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SLB said:

Cause Ruhlman sure hasn't posted anything about a Black Friday sale.  

I questioned him last night on Twitter.

He hasn't responded yet.

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Looks great, Martin! And you simply can't beat the price... 

I've been known to do something similar when dining out and the thin utensils come already bent out of useful shape.  It is possible to bend a dinner fork almost perfectly flat.  That usually gets the message across...

11 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

There used to be available a well designed stainless steel ladle that had a flat edge so that it could be used for both scraping and scooping—but a cursory search hints that it has disappeared!

I can't remember who, exactly, sold it. I think it was seed vendors or sausage making supply vendors. It may also have been Lehman's Hardware in Ohio.

Could this work?  

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?p=46941&cat=2,40733,44734,46941

12 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I had one of those.  It disappeared along with my 16 quart Calphalon stock pot after a potluck party that I contributed a pot of Birria.

Mine was made by AmCo Japan - I still have the strainer ladle I bought at the same time.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I had one of those.  It disappeared along with my 16 quart Calphalon stock pot after a potluck party that I contributed a pot of Birria.

Mine was made by AmCo Japan - I still have the strainer ladle I bought at the same time.  

My great granny's is smaller than a serving spoon, yet larger than a large table spoon.  It is marked "New Haven Silverplate Co" and is probably c1890.  Obviously cut for a rightie.

This shape is nice.  Oxo, what's 1 more among 10,000 products?  Joseph Joseph?

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 6:42 PM, andiesenji said:

Stealing a 16 quart pot is BOLD.  I mean, dang.  

Meanwhile, still twiddling my thumbs waiting on Ruhlman.  I was thinking those soup spoons as a signature holiday gift this year.   But we're heading into the crunch zone on holiday delivery.  

On 11/20/2017 at 4:32 PM, SLB said:

Intriguing. 

Cause Ruhlman sure hasn't posted anything about a Black Friday sale.  

Cyber Monday special is up now on his site.  35% off everything with the code:  JINGLE

Edited to add:  Shipping is still high - $18.68 to get the big spoon to me by the cheapest shipping method, UPS Ground

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

yet

shipping charges were an issue for me at Ruhlman.

I emailed them to ask about this and they said they are a small outfit and they only charge their costs.

Odd :  shipping for the spoon set:

https://shop.ruhlman.com/products/spoon-set

after the discount 

was 15.51.

Id try again and make sure you see ' Jingle ' on the final amount w shipping.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I had the 3 piece offset spoon set in the cart but balked at the OUTRAGEOUS shipping fee!!! 

$14.28!!!!

That set of spoons could safely ship for $3.65 or less via first class mail!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I had the 3 piece offset spoon set in the cart but balked at the OUTRAGEOUS shipping fee!!! 

$14.28!!!!

That set of spoons could safely ship for $3.65 or less via first class mail!

Well—FWIW—he acknowledges that it's an issue!

4rwc3r.png

• Like 2

The shipping cost was the only thing that kept me from buying another 2 sets of the mixed size offset spoons. It's my only complaint about the Ruhlman spoons, really.

The shipping is easier to swallow when you're buying a whole bunch at once. My previous orders have been quite large, but now that I only want a few pieces, the shipping keeps holding me back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Well—FWIW—he acknowledges that it's an issue!

4rwc3r.png

Yes. But it has been an issue forever and nobody seems to be addressing it.  Leads one to wonder if it’s advantageous to them to continue the status quo. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes. But it has been an issue forever and nobody seems to be addressing it.  Leads one to wonder if it’s advantageous to them to continue the status quo. 

Yep! :S

this might be " old school '  shipping charges

based on final price.

it suits the seller Ids guess

and its easy to find out :

pick an item or a set

go to the check out page and see your shipping charge

do the same thing again using the 30 % off

and see the shipping charge.

or just ask them how they determine shopping costs :

by final price charged ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2