• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruhlman / Dalton Spoons, Utensils, and Kitchen Accessories

btbyrd

A few years ago Michael Ruhlman paired up with fellow Clevelander Mac Dalton to design an array of kitchen tools. I figured that eGullet could use a thread dedicated to discussing them. Dalton-Ruhlman's first product was an offset spoon designed for basting. Ruhlman apparently used to bend his Kunz spoons so they'd be better at the task, and realized that the world would be a better place if there was an offset spoon crafted for all your basting needs. In the years since, they've expanded their offerings to include other types of spoon -- offset and not -- including the "Badass Egg Spoon." Here's a shot of my Ruhlman spoon collection:

FullSizeRender (17).jpg

From the top left we have a set of the offset soup spoons and three somewhat normal sizes of the offset spoon. The medium sized offset spoon is apparently comparable in size to the Kunz; the offset spoon on the far right is quite large and is suitable for serving things family-style. Beneath them is the BAE spoon and the offset serving spoon. I've had the BAE and the 3 non-soup offset spoons for a couple years; the soup and serving spoons just arrived, so I don't have much experience with them. One thing that I can say is that I was astonished by the size of the offset serving spoon. It is giant. It's the biggest spoon in my kitchen for sure... and it's longer than my 8oz Rosle ladle (shown below for size comparison purposes). It really is closer to a ladle than a serving spoon... for actually serving most things, the large offset is probably a better size.

FullSizeRender (18).jpg

I mean, it's freaking giant. It's very well made and I'm sure I'll use it for some things (like serving dishes from a larger pot or dutch oven) but it's definitely in ladle territory in terms of sheer size.

What's the point of offset spoons? Well, they really do make basting easier -- which was the way this whole thing started. But what I really came to love about them is the way the spoons will rest on the edge of a pan, dish, or bowl without sliding in. And the build on these spoons is just right... they're SOLID and have a good weight to them and behave more or less exactly how I'd like them to. Here's the product video demonstrating the 3 offset basting/tasting/whatever spoons:

The Badass Egg Spoon is also a quality product. It's a large perforated spoon whose holes are just large enough to drain off the loose white from an egg without letting the firm white through. So you can crack an egg into it, drain the crap off, and then poach a beautiful egg. But I must confess that I don't make poached eggs that often (though I now make them a lot more often than I used to). I do, however, use the spoon all the time... it's a great size and shape for anything you'd want a perforated spoon to do. Ironically, I use it a lot of times to pick sous vide "poached" eggs out of my circulator bath. But I also use it to serve greens, beans, and other things cooked in liquid that you don't want to serve as a soup. Here's the product video for the egg spoon:

I haven't yet put the soup spoons or serving spoon through their proper paces, but I anticipate that they'll perform splendidly. Did I mention that the serving spoon is BIG?

They're a bit pricey at retail (and his shipping prices are quite high, but he's apparently working on that) but he runs promos around the holidays and Mother's Day that bring the prices into line. Even without the discount, the prices are competitive with the Kunz spoon (which I haven't used, but now don't feel the need for... though I'll probably get one eventually because I can't help myself). I also have a set of the acacia wood paddles, the meat mallet, and the "all strain" cloths (which apparently aren't available anymore). I rate them all highly and may post about them later.

Anyway, if you've used these spoons or any of the other Dalton-Ruhlman products, give us your impressions.

• Like 5

I could fall for the BAE.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

these spoons etc look like top of the line stuff.

Im sure they will give a Cook/Chef  immense person pleasure using them day to day.

its what every finely crafted tool does.

if shipping were lower   Id get 2 or three of them.

but I have similar items and they work well enough.

this is not a criticism     

after all , I have an EdgePro system , its  pricey     but Im glad I made that investment way back.

I would have gotten a few of these back then ( maybe w better shipping )

as Time Marches On.

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Go ahead and enter the order and click to see the shipping estimate.  $18 shipping took care of my weakness.  

And I'm not even sure they ship to Canada and if they do…… 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been curious about the basting spoons and such for about 5 years now.....just wish I could see them first-hand or I wish they were reasonably available (and easily returnable) via Amazon Prime.

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

This afternoon I received my stuff (the spoon set and the bamboo scrubbers).  The spoons look well enough made but I could live without the branding.  They are in the dishwasher as we speak.

I have no idea how to care for the bamboo scrubbers.  Unlike the spoons they did not come with instructions.  (Only Ruhlman would give directions how to use a spoon.)

The large bamboo scrubber is large.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have and enjoy the perforated egg spoon for poached eggs and many other tasks.  Someone also makes a "Roux" spoon that I put to good use.   I like the "Kuntz" spoons but for the price I usually buy the Richmond knock-offs from CKTG.  I've not tried the off-sets, mainly because they solve a problem that I don't feel like I have.

• 1 month later...

I received a gift of the Ruhlman spoons today click.. I really, really wanted to use the BAE spoon but dinner was not going to work with poached eggs. But I did use the medium offset spoon and was amazed at how much easier it was to baste my eggs. Somebody really re-thought the design of spoons intended for cooking tasks rather than as eating utensils. I am impressed that such a simple utensil could benefit so much from a redesign. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Feedback on the soup spoons: They're great. They're just the right size and they lie ever-so-gracefully in the bowl when you don't have them in your hand.

I want another set of the normal offset spoons (one in each size) but that's probably not in the cards unless they can find a shipping partner that can keep the prices down... or unless I order a bunch of stuff from DR as gifts and spread the shipping costs out over a big order. Like Martin, I really wish their stuff was available with cheap shipping from a reputable online retailer like Amazon. They'd probably sell a bunch more going through Amazon or Williams Sonoma (or wherever) than through their own site and Opensky.

• Like 3

A post of mine seems to have been lost...no matter.  I am pleased with my Ruhlman spoons.  I used two of them making tonight's dinner.

The Ruhlman bamboo thingies, not so much.

I have the BAE and I love it.  I make poached eggs much more often now.  I do spray it with a little Pam before putting the egg in (don't remember if Michael suggests that or not).  I 'drain' the egg, as he suggests, nestle the spoon in the water for a couple of seconds and slip the egg out.  Much less frustration than using a cup and a much more consistent product!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

If someone has the time and inclination—would you please snap a pic of the Ruhlman-Dalton basting spoon(s) side profile?

I'm curious!

Thanks!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

If someone has the time and inclination—would you please snap a pic of the Ruhlman-Dalton basting spoon(s) side profile?

I'm curious!

Thanks!

I could not possibly improve upon this photograph:

Click

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks @Anna N, but that doesn't show the straight on side view, which is what I'm looking for.

You can sort of see the profile in the video.

I wish I could see the spoons firsthand.

I wish their shipping charges weren't so outrageous. 

I'm currently not willing to pay ~$12.00 per spoon!

Is this any help?

IMG_1906.thumb.JPG.d2e8801422734f1cd78d4766782b1fe3.JPG

Or this?

IMG_1911.thumb.JPG.7c54635569f089e3461236524615881f.JPG

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Small, medium, and large spoons beside one another at various angles. Small in front; medium in middle; large in back. The perspective makes them look like they're almost the same size, but that's an optical trick. I tried to more or less line them up where the handle meets the cup of the spoon.

BE1FB7F0-0CED-44C9-8DF7-48BA0B329241.thumb.jpg.e3fe570522b9d4b91471ac4127963837.jpg

I'm sure there will be another Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal this year, so if you can wait you can save.

• Like 2

Thanks @Anna N and @btbyrd!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

So the very upper part of the handle is about parallel with the business end of the spoon?

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

So the very upper part of the handle is about parallel with the business end of the spoon?

No, the bowl of mine* is about 25 degrees CCW relative to the handle, assuming the handle is toward the left.  Perhaps a mathematician could explain it better.  But it wouldn't take a blacksmith to bend it a bit one way or the other.

*I only looked at one spoon.

P.S.  Just buy a set and save us all a lot of trouble.

Wait until the holiday sales and order big. I'm going to get 2 or 3 more sets of the bent spoons this year. 

I've never ordered not on sale. It's the only way to make up for the crazy shipping.

I'll add that since my original post, I've bought and used all the Kunz spoons, but much prefer the Ruhlmans.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Wait until the holiday sales and order big. I'm going to get 2 or 3 more sets of the bent spoons this year. 

I've never ordered not on sale. It's the only way to make up for the crazy shipping.

I'll add that since my original post, I've bought and used all the Kunz spoons, but much prefer the Ruhlmans.

If they are on sale I'd like to get another set of the bent spoons.  I use all three sizes...a lot.  The perforated egg spoon not so much.