• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Partially dipping marshmallows

pastryani

If you're partially dipping marshmallows in chocolate, do you skip the coating with powdered sugar/cornstarch step so that the powder doesn't get into the chocolate?  If so, doesn't the exposed part of the marshmallow get wet/stickier with time?

I shake the previously cut/dusted marshmallows around in a strainer to get the potato starch off and then dip them.  It helps to keep some potato starch around just to keep your fingers from getting sticky; we usually torch the tops before we dip them.  I dip them just before they get delivered; usually we don't hold them (after dipping) for more than a day....

• Like 1

I wouldn't skip the powdered sugar/cornstarch step. As long as you shake them off as best you can, the chocolate shouldn't get contaminated - I've dipped more marshmallows than I can count and never had it happen.

• Like 1

Patty