• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your favorite and least favorite egg-only preparation method?

robie

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

@ElsieD, would it help if you let her know that the yolks DON'T develop into the "babies"?

No, it wouldn't do any good.  She and my dad probably had that conversation.  He was an egg farmer with around 6,000 laying hens.

• Like 4

:D

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 5.52.07 PM.png

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

No, it wouldn't do any good.  She and my dad probably had that conversation.  He was an egg farmer with around 6,000 laying hens.

And to think that there are people who pay premium prices for "fertilized eggs" - The last time I saw them at the farmers market, the certified organic, free-range, fertilized eggs were 7.00 a dozen.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't eat a lot of eggs but my favorite is with the yolk a little beyond the really runny stage of over easy when it's thickened to a custardy texture. My least favorite egg is anything that leaves runny, slimy white. I'd rather eat an overcooked egg than an egg with the white still runny and slimy. I do like scrambled eggs... dump them out of the pan when still just slightly wet and the residual heat takes them to a perfect soft texture.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I just love eggs about cooked just about any style. I'm in what seems to be the unofficial majority here, and agree that slimy whites are gross and inedible for me. Not my very favorite, but having some hard boiled eggs in the fridge available for a tasty, high-protein snack in a flash is sure convenient. If I had to pick just one favorite, it would probably be over easy. I like to eat them whole on top of a nice warm slice of good buttered toast. It's a challenging, but sensual experience to keep the molten yolk from dripping down the front of your clothing, but well worth the effort. I like my scrambled eggs set but not dry, and I've found I pretty much need to cook them myself to enjoy them.

Who doesn't like this inexpensive, delicious source of protein and Vitamin B 12? My sister will not eat eggs except in baked goods and such. She doesn't like coffee either. We have had many discussions on the question of whether she might be an alien. :D

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Eat eggs almost very day 

My favorite is a low temp scramble where the texture becomes creamy.  Just takes a lot of time which is a premium on a work day

Least  favorite is hard boiled

Most often made is a fried egg, over easy

• Like 1

Hijacking this thread because I have a question: Can one freeze and later use egg whites, with no degradation in quality? Is there a specific technique for doing so?

Have just made a triple batch of eggnog, using 18 egg yolks, which, nature being what it is, yielded a commensurate number of whites. I have made 16 dozen meringue cookies, in Christmas-y colors with sanding sugar, yet, and I am damned if I see myself using another egg white in the near future. I do plan to make more eggnog (it figures in gift baskets this year). However, I don't know that my dear late sainted mother's spirit would let me rest if I let the next 18 egg whites go to waste.

HELP! Please!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Ashen Just tried your sunny side up method. Brilliant!

Re favorite/least favorite.  Hard boiled eggs are pretty bad...but deviled eggs are great. Even my mother's old-school yellow mustard/miracle whip deviled eggs were tasty. Something about the DE is magic. I can eat maybe one three egg omelet, but I'm good eating 8 or 10 DEs and then start looking for more

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

kayb,

You might find the the thoughts here useful. 

Bless you! Why didn't I find this when I searched? (Obviously too much MR for ME tonight!)

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Hijacking this thread because I have a question: Can one freeze and later use egg whites, with no degradation in quality? Is there a specific technique for doing so?

I freeze egg whites all the time. I just plop them in a zip lock bag and throw them in the freezer. When I have about 13 or 14, I make an angel food cake. They whip up beautifully. 

• Like 1

My best is a poached egg on toast, featuring semi runny yolk and just set white.

Easily achieved with gently simmering water plus a splash of vinegar.

Worst, over easy cooked for too long. Rubbery eggs should be illegal :) 

• Like 1

My go to is either French style omlete or fluffy scrambled (which is quite the same only left in pieces). Poached is also great. 

I really don't like browned, over cooked omletes. Hard boiled is only good sliced or chopped in a salad,  sandwich, on hummus, etc. 

I'm not a fan of fried eggs either, it always feel to me that they should have been poached instead. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Having thought about it more, while a hard boiled is not my favorite, it can produce something good like egg salad which I like a lot.  Especially if it has a good dose of mayo in it.  But over cooked scrambled where the curds are hard like big pebbles tops my least favorite but would include an over cooked omelet as well 

And don't get me started on processed eggs you find at hotel free breakfast bars 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cakewalk said:

I freeze egg whites all the time. I just plop them in a zip lock bag and throw them in the freezer. When I have about 13 or 14, I make an angel food cake. They whip up beautifully. 

Thanks! (Have just finished the second eight dozen meringue cookies. Future egg whites to be frozen!)

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 12/12/2016 at 6:40 PM, Lisa Shock said:

European style scrambled, very soft and creamy with a LOT of butter emulsified in early on. Learned this from a Raymond Blanc cookbook.

Least favorite: anything with a runny yolk, or white.

That's why I like my scrambles - though I use no butter - cooking them IN the heavy cream produces a buttery sensation and they remain soft and creamy even when held in a chafer.  

I taught a friend who owns a café in a resort area how to prepare them for his Sunday brunches and he says his customers rave about them.  

• Like 2

Favourite: soft boiled. When we went to Singapore, we learned to eat them barely boiled.  Whole raw eggs dropped in hot boiled water, off the heat, covered for 5 mins.  They were so soft you'd have to crack them into a shallow dish and slurp it up with a bit of dark soy.  Kaya toast and condensed milk coffee on the side. :x

Least favourite: Hard, dry scrambled and hard, dry fried eggs.  Ick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

A new trend developed down under - footpath (sidewalk) eggs.

http://thebigsmoke.com.au/2016/12/14/perfect-footpath-egg-recipe/

Just no!

In our area pets, who no one really knows if they have had adequate parasite control, defecate along and even on sidewalks. It's illegal, and some apartment complexes are taking DNA samples as a condition of move-in with a pet to catch cheaters who do not clean up after their pets. Even good neighbors who do clean up can leave behind traces of parasite eggs and harmful bacteria. I never eat anything off the ground or even the floor in my home even if it's freshly mopped.

Just no.

If you really want to do this in hot weather, but a black cast iron skillet out in the sun for a while until it gets hot.

My mom, who was a ton of fun in her short tenure, once did this on a hot California sidewalk for entertainment value for us little kids. We cleaned up the mess and no one was allowed to eat it. She was an RN.

> ^ . . ^ <

My mom was an RN.  Growing up in Philadelphia my father often spoke of it being hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk, as I believe it was.  When my parents were my age they were long since dead.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

Well, that went through to the keeper. 

Mmm, that article might have been a bit tongue in cheek.

There's always radiator eggs though :)

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-and-friends/blog/2016/04/18/radiator-cooking-recipes

I have fried eggs and baked biscuits on sheet pans on the dashboard in a 1969 Chrysler station wagon that had a long, slanted windshield and a broad, flat dashboard.  I was proving how hot it got in the car when parked in the sun to make a point that leaving vinyl albums in the front seat was not a good idea...  Eggs took about 2 minutes, biscuits 25, done but not browned.

• Like 7