• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa's Spectactular Tonawanda Workshop

Kerry Beal

9 hours ago, curls said:

Looks like a bit of Becolade chocolate was used today (unless I am reading the boxes incorrectly)! Any idea how much you went thru today?

I don’t have exact numbers, but we used probably 5 kilos of dark, maybe 3 of milk, and between 1 and 2 kilos of caramelized white. It was Belcolade - it’s really lovely to work with.

• Like 1

Patty

8 minutes ago, patris said:

I don’t have exact numbers, but we used probably 5 kilos of dark, maybe 3 of milk, and between 1 and 2 kilos of caramelized white. It was Belcolade - it’s really lovely to work with.

Good numbers but a bit less chocolate than we use for the eGullet chocolate workshop.I'm contemplating a chocolate class for friends and trying to get a sense of how much chocolate to have prepared. Guess it really depends on what we make. Did you go thru more chocolate in your early workshops when your friends filled their own chocolate moulds?

14 hours ago, kayb said:

OK, if you take orders,  I want a set of the trees. Just let me know how to acquire them. And you people are about to tempt me over the line into fancy chocolate making, and that is a step I do NOT need to take!

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks to @patris & @Kerry Beal for sharing with us.  Looks like so much fun!  I came ever so close to buying Rice Krispies today so I could make the caramelized variety....for which I have no use whatsoever 🙃.

Do put me on the reservation list for the trees though.  I don't know that I could invest in an entire forest but a small grove would be lovely!

These trees were my first attempt and I will work on them when the studio opens back up in January (it is closed from Thanksgiving until New Year’s). My technique needs loads of work if I am ever to feel good about selling, but If you’re serious about wanting them I will check back in with you when I get a better handle on them!

Edited by patris (log)

Patty

1 hour ago, curls said:

Good numbers but a bit less chocolate than we use for the eGullet chocolate workshop.I'm contemplating a chocolate class for friends and trying to get a sense of how much chocolate to have prepared. Guess it really depends on what we make. Did you go thru more chocolate in your early workshops when your friends filled their own chocolate moulds?

The first year was the only year we did molds, and the overall logistics were quite different. I didn’t keep any record of how much chocolate we used, as far as I can tell. It does change a bit from year to year, and this year we had 3 new faces as 3 of the regulars couldn’t attend, so I don’t really have an apples to apples comparison. It does all really depend on what people want to make and how much of it - I had some folks who used less than a kilo altogether and some who used 2 or 3. If you limit people’s options - say, have everyone do one mold, barks or clusters with x pounds of chocolate, and maybe allot x pounds of chocolate per person for dipped items - that might be a good way to think about it. Presenting it as a class rather than the friends and family free-for-all like I do it gives you the structure to set limits like that.

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 1

Patty

1 hour ago, patris said:

And that’s not counting the bark you made ahead of time

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

And that’s not counting the bark you made ahead of time

Good point! I used 4500 g of dark chocolate and 3750 g of white in the peppermint bark, and 2200 g of milk chocolate for peanut butter meltaways.

• Like 1

Patty

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I spy a Paragon and orange spatulas are best.

I am loving the Paragon (though my go-to spatula is purple) - makes the best damn grilled cheese sandwich.

• Like 1

Patty

7 hours ago, patris said:

These trees were my first attempt and I will work on them when the studio opens back up in January (it is closed from Thanksgiving until New Year’s). My technique needs loads of work if I am ever to feel good about selling, but If you’re serious about wanting them I will check back in with you when I get a better handle on them!

Yes, please.

I'm in no rush!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 year later...