• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa's Spectactular Tonawanda Workshop

Kerry Beal

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

look what I brought home!

But what is it?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive had that Kringle from my Tj's

here its Almond .  and its very very very nice heated up

so  nice , the pants do indeed get tighter  

Ive done that study already.

if there were a pecan version 

Id have to move to sweat pants w and elastic waist.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think my invitation must've gotten lost in the mail! 😉

JUST KIDDING. Looks like you're going to have a great day there. And I'm going to have a great day here, first watching our university women's hockey team play their last game of 2019 and then playing my own game later tonight. And I assume I'll see you both in May at the chocolate workshop?

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

OK, if you take orders,  I want a set of the trees. Just let me know how to acquire them. And you people are about to tempt me over the line into fancy chocolate making, and that is a step I do NOT need to take!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The workshop is closed for the season! Actually, it’s just closed until next Sunday, when I will do a much more toned-down version of this for one of my sisters who couldn’t make it today, her adult daughter, my sister who was here today, and her 10-year-old granddaughter. I don’t anticipate doing nearly the level of prep for that - and sadly @Kerry Beal won’t be joining us - but I am looking forward to it nevertheless.

Meantime, here are the few pictures I was able to snap during the day. The crispy marshmallows and caramelized Rice cereal were a huuuuge hit and showed up in a lot of barks and clusters, so I suspect they will become staples in my repertoire. Lots of delicious things made all around!

0F8CA5D4-8A9D-4DA9-AA41-90EFAB6AA9AA.jpeg

1A3DD74C-C1D1-49CC-B675-F2B7128038C8.jpeg

B8D64A1A-6325-4466-B6FF-5A3C85B362E6.jpeg

48C2C9D1-12A5-4688-B733-9936D00073F0.jpeg

AD36380B-1C22-4102-B303-42FF8D859644.jpeg

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Patty

I hope you got some help with the cleanup! Everything looks fabulous.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/7/2019 at 7:49 PM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_9105.thumb.JPG.f996634f2823788e309e2daba2eaf526.JPG

crispy cereal marshmallows (Bravetart)  - little crispy bits for bark and just munching upon.

Did you use this recipe (https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/10/bravetart-cereal-marshmallows-how-to-make-lucky-charms-at-home.html) for the crispy marshmallows? Sounds like a bit of work to make -- especially the homemade corn syrup.

• Like 2

Thanks to @patris & @Kerry Beal for sharing with us.  Looks like so much fun!  I came ever so close to buying Rice Krispies today so I could make the caramelized variety....for which I have no use whatsoever 🙃.

Do put me on the reservation list for the trees though.  I don't know that I could invest in an entire forest but a small grove would be lovely!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Breakfast this am (brunch really) 

I think you are trying to test my visual acuity or perhaps even my food knowledge!  

I can figure out the first dish which is my current favourite breakfast, pita bread and scrambled egg. But that second dish has me stymied. 

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, curls said:

Did you use this recipe (https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/10/bravetart-cereal-marshmallows-how-to-make-lucky-charms-at-home.html) for the crispy marshmallows? Sounds like a bit of work to make -- especially the homemade corn syrup.

That is indeed the recipe I used. The corn syrup wasn’t too much work - it’s really just making some corn broth and then making that into a syrup - and it made quite a bit of it. I made 2 batches of marshmallows and will probably be able to get another 3, maybe 4, out of the syrup I have left. As for the rest of the process it’s pretty straightforward, except for the part where you boil the water with oats, strain them out, then use the water to make the syrup.  The marshmallows are cut so small that one pan goes a very long way, so  for me it ends up being worth the effort.

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 2

Patty

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I think you are trying to test my visual acuity or perhaps even my food knowledge!  

I can figure out the first dish which is my current favourite breakfast, pita bread and scrambled egg. But that second dish has me stymied. 

That might be for the best - it’s Giant White Beans in Tomato Sauce from Trader Joe’s.

• Haha 6

Patty

21 minutes ago, patris said:

That might be for the best - it’s Giant White Beans in Tomato Sauce from Trader Joe’s.

Ewwwwww

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog