• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

patris

patris

10 hours ago, curls said:

Did you use this recipe (https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/10/bravetart-cereal-marshmallows-how-to-make-lucky-charms-at-home.html) for the crispy marshmallows? Sounds like a bit of work to make -- especially the homemade corn syrup.

That is indeed the recipe I used. The corn syrup wasn’t too much work - it’s really just making some corn broth and then making that into a syrup - and it made quite a bit of it. I made 2 batches of marshmallows and will probably be able to get another 3, maybe 4, out of the syrup I have left. As for the rest of the process it’s pretty straightforward, except for the part where you boil the water with oats, strain them out, then use the water to make the syrup.  The marshmallows are cut so small that one pan goes a very long way, so  for me it ends up being worth the effort.

patris

patris

Did you use this recipe (https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/10/bravetart-cereal-marshmallows-how-to-make-lucky-charms-at-home.html) for the crispy marshmallows? Sounds like a bit of work to make -- especially the homemade corn syrup.

That is indeed the recipe I used. The corn syrup wasn’t too much work - it’s really just making some corn broth and then making that into a syrup - and it made quite a bit of it. I made 2 batches of marshmallows and will probably be able to get another 3, maybe 4, out of the syrup I have left. As for the rest of the process, it’s pretty straightforward, except for the part where you boil the water with oats, strain them out, then use the water to make the syrup.  The marshmallows are cut so small that one pan goes a very long way, so  for me it ends up being worth the effort.

patris

patris

That is indeed the recipe I used. The corn syrup wasn’t too much work - it’s really just making some corn broth and then making that into a syrup - and it made quite a bit of it. I made 2 batches and will probably be able to get another 3, maybe 4, out of the syrup I have left. As for the rest of the process, it’s pretty straightforward, except for the part where you boil the water with oats, strain them out, then use the water to make the syrup.  The marshmallows are cut so small that one pan goes a very long way, so  for me it ends up being worth the effort.