• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

This sounds like a fat rendering issue.

Temp not high enough and/or long enough to properly render the fat well.

And, or, in combination......

You bought a bunch of chicken wings....if the wings are from old birds — that can certainly contribute...they don't give up their fat as readily as young birds.

Older birds also tend to have more flavor, which may also explain your comment ....."I have never ever tasted stock that was so utterly perfect,"

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

And, or, combination......

You bought a bunch of chicken wings....if the wings are from old birds — that can certainly contribute...they don't give up their fat as readily as young birds.

Older birds also tend to have more flavor, which may also explain your comment ....."I have never ever tasted stock that was so utterly perfect,"

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

And, or, combination......

You bought a u2014bunch of chicken wings....if the wings are from old birds — that can certainly contribute...they don't give up their fat as readily as young birds.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

And, or, or combination......