• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

EatingBen

EatingBen

I made chicken stock in the sous vide, a kilo of chicken wings (on special and I went too) with a little onion, celery and carrot with 1.5L of water. I started at a temp of 90c for a few hours and then dropped it too 65c over night and unleashed the amazing this morning when I snipped off the corner of the bag and let the incredible liquid flow into a pot. 

I have never ever tasted stock that was so utterly perfect, I've made stock in the pressure cooker, old fashioned stove top, done it low and slow in slow cookers and super fast in pressure cookers and a combination, I've doubled stocks, tripled them to intensified flavours and reduced the hell out of them and never gotten this. 

BUT I need to defat the stock but it's already turned to jelly in the fridge which kinda makes it a little more difficult to get the fat out of the stock, when I pulled the stock out to remove the fat I was more astounded that I had made chicken jelly that was so intently chicken and smelt so good even cold. 

So really, if there any new methods that I might not know about to remove the fat? or maybe a way to emulsify the fat into the stock and it be stable? 

I can't wait to try beef stock and make vegetable stock, what an amazing and lazy way to make such amazing stocks!!

So, as was mentioned by a few below it looks like my stock just didn't render the chicken fat, I had no later of fat to remove from the stock once it cooled. Having never done sous bide chicken stock I hadn't anticipated such minimal amounts of fat or it being jelly without reduction. But it looks like it might be the age of the chickens and the low temp that made a delicious although lower fat stock. 

EatingBen

EatingBen

I made chicken stock in the sous vide, a kilo of chicken wings (on special and I went too) with a little onion, celery and carrot with 1.5L of water. I started at a temp of 90c for a few hours and then dropped it too 65c over night and unleashed the amazing this morning when I snipped off the corner of the bag and let the incredible liquid flow into a pot. 

I have never ever tasted stock that was so utterly perfect, I've made stock in the pressure cooker, old fashioned stove top, done it low and slow in slow cookers and super fast in pressure cookers and a combination, I've doubled stocks, tripled them to intensified flavours and reduced the hell out of them and never gotten this. 

BUT I need to defat the stock but it's already turned to jelly in the fridge which kinda makes it a little more difficult to get the fat out of the stock, when I pulled the stock out to remove the fat I was more astounded that I had made chicken jelly that was so intently chicken and smelt so good even cold. 

So really, if there any new methods that I might not know about to remove the fat? or maybe a way to emulsify the fat into the stock and it be stable? 

I can't wait to try beef stock and make vegetable stock, what an amazing and lazy way to make such amazing stocks!!