• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry but tasty chocolate cake recipe?

quiet1

I want to ask now in case I need any specialty ingredients, since I'm going hunting for fruit for fruitcake locally anyway: Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate cake that is tasty but kind of dry in the crumb? My housemate is weird and prefers dry cake (he grew up on egg-free baking so I think his idea of what is good was hopelessly warped) and none of my go-to chocolate cake recipes have been what I would consider dry. Last year for his birthday his son and I made a cake, but while it had the right texture the chocolate flavor was kind of lacking. My copy of The Cake Bible is in a box currently so I can't check there for ideas for this year.

Does anyone have a recipe that might work, or suggestions for tweaking a normal recipe? He likes the sort of thing that really needs icing or maybe some ice cream with it. It need not be egg-free, just not too moist.

(I'm vaguely contemplating doing a ganache with it, or maybe layering cake with chocolate mousse? Something a bit different than just dry cake and super sweet frosting. Maybe a flavored whipped cream frosting?)

@quiet1,

Your request is unusual!

I'm far from the most talented baker we are fortunate to have on this site, but I did make these muffins one time and they were drier than most chocolate cakes I have made or had. There's a lot of good info in the comment section about personal likes and dislikes and tweaking the recipe. I can't remember, because it's been a while, but I may have increased the milk to a full cup because that is the ratio I am used to using for muffins. They were still drier than a moist, decadent chocolate cake. I most likely did because I'm wont to adjust batters and things until they "look right". I liked the muffins at the sugar and salt level as written, but others commenting didn't.

This recipe would work in a couple of 8" cake pans, if that's what your are after. You would have to increase baking time and monitor doneness. Also, if I was going to do a cake out of this recipe, I'd reduce the oven temp to 350 F/ 182 C.

> ^ . . ^ <

44 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@quiet1,

Your request is unusual!

I know! I got him a piece of cake from the best bakery in town (IMO) once and he just went 'meh' at it. No more tasty Italian pastries for him! Most of the year I just ignore him and bake what I feel like if I feel like baking, but I figure for your birthday it's fair enough to have something you like, and of course none of the bakeries around do anything like what he is after. (Well, I haven't tried any of the vegan gluten free paleo whatever places, but they kind of scare me, so.)

The key seems to be it has to be a cake that is dry enough that if you ate it alone, you'd really want something with it, like a frosting or ice cream. If it is moist enough to stand alone as a cake, that is too moist for him. I suspect he likes the combination of flavors from adding frosting and ice cream to the dry cake, as opposed to liking the dry cake alone?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Make a genoise, or even a baba/savarin.

They're designed to be soaked in syrup, and I can confirm that they're dry as a bone when eaten without.  Just replace some of the flour with cocoa powder.

Agreed - I've always found genoise dry - even soaked! Ive worked hard perfecting my moist, tender chocolate cake.

• Like 2

Screwball cake or Shirley's crazy eggless chocolate cake.

Check Shirley's Bakewise to confirm the recipe.

Screwball cake was a staple and extremely popular at my mom's diners.  

Yeah....soaked up stuff well ...served as hot fudge cake, etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am surprised, that no one has mention  a Sacher Torte. It is very dry and dense. To counteract the dryness, it is served with whipped cream. The recipe that I use is from Rick Rogers cookbook Kaffeehouse.