• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello, again!

EatingBen

Hi, I'm Ben I used to be a member of this place ages and age and ages ago and then life happened and I stopped cooking as much or as interesting. 

But hopefully that will all change, I ordered a Polyscience Chef series Sous Vide thingynameIcan'tthinkofwhattocallit. Along with the Polyscience vacuum sealer, it's not a chamber which I think I'll ultimately upgrade too down the track but it is pretty cool. Ultimately I went with the Polyscience because I'm hoping that A, it's a fantastic machine and I love precision and B, damn it I just spent a bucket load on a piece of kitchen equipment and I hope that propels me to get back into cooking as much as I used too. Also I don't need nor want WiFi or Bluetooth or other bippity bops, just something I can set the temp with and walk away and just know it'l be doing its just reliably! 

My cooking style is both old fashioned, kinda modern (never done a foam) and somewhat "I have a recipe, I think it went into the bin with the garlic skins cause I can't find it anymore HEY I MADE THIS!!" I love making some of the old fashioned things and I'll make stocks and sauces and thankfully I still won't eat mayo that hasn't been home made (or kewpie) 

Anyway I'm looking forward to my Polyscience stuff arriving and making chicken, some yogurt and I've been seeing recipes for a chocolate cheese cake? that looks interesting as does a custardy flan. Also making veg SV sounds good I like the idea of corny corn and some really nice asparagus and all that butter in everything OMG I'm going to get fat! 

So anyway, HI! 

• Like 4

Ah, the prodigal cook. Welcome back, Ben.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

13 hours ago, Alex said:

Ah, the prodigal cook. Welcome back, Ben.

LOL somewhat but heres hoping its not! the vacuum packer just turned into a brilliant purchase, I just packed 3 kilos of meat for the freezer! Now for the SV to arrive! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EatingBen said:

LOL somewhat but heres hoping its not! the vacuum packer just turned into a brilliant purchase, I just packed 3 kilos of meat for the freezer! Now for the SV to arrive! 

I bought a vacuum-packer last summer and have been amazed at how ridiculously fun it is to vacuum-pack things.  Who knew?  It certainly added to our freezer load, and hence our waistlines.  

Welcome back, Ben.  Here's hoping we see you around a lot: first as an enabled, and then - if you really have a lot of fun - joining the ranks of enablers.  :) If you have any questions about forum changes since you were last here, feel free to PM a host or to ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 08/12/2016 at 2:16 AM, Smithy said:

I bought a vacuum-packer last summer and have been amazed at how ridiculously fun it is to vacuum-pack things.  Who knew?  It certainly added to our freezer load, and hence our waistlines.  

Welcome back, Ben.  Here's hoping we see you around a lot: first as an enabled, and then - if you really have a lot of fun - joining the ranks of enablers.  :) If you have any questions about forum changes since you were last here, feel free to PM a host or to ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

Thanks Smithy, it has been a while since I've been actively cooking turns out I'm rather rusty especially baking bread but its slowly coming back and I look forward to learning everything I can. 

I'm impressed with the changes this place has had since I stopped coming, its really grown into something a lot slicker and with a heck of a lot more knowledgable people offering up information. You guys have done some great things with the site and the community. 

• Like 1