• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming soon to a forum near you....

Well, maybe not so soon... July.... But my wife and I are headed back to:

20161204_204624.jpg

This time, central Vietnam - specifically Hoi An and Hue (and some stuff in between as we go from one to the other).

We just pulled the trigger after I found tickets from NYC to Saigon, round trip, for about $1000 pp on EVA.  I don't think I've ever seen flights to SEAsia that cheap.... I can't even fly to Europe for that price, and it's a lot closer!

So, if anyone had been to that area and has any suggestions, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case) :)

• Like 15

I will also look forward to your tales. 

We were in Hue in April this year. If you can, take the train from Hue to Da Nang, ensure you book seats on the left hand side for spectacular coastal scenery. In Hue our hotel the Serene Palace had a restaurant which was number 1 on TripAdvisor. The Hue pork noodle soup was superb, huge depth of flavours. We ate at Lac Thien on the other side of the river, where the deaf owner makes customised beer bottle openers. The whole family work there, with ninety year old granny peeling garlic, adult children waiting tables, and everyone yelling at the top of their lungs. The food was good too.

Always try to get a green taxi Mai Linh brand, apparently they're less likely to rip you off. 

Our trip to Hoi An was about five years ago, things may have changed. I do remember an excellent cooking class at our hotel, but can't remember the name !

• Like 3

@sartoricWe're still looking into the order of destinations... as of now, it looks like we will need to go to Hoi An first, then go to Hue because of intra-Vietnam flight times to/from Saigon.  I have been debating taking the train from Da Nang to Hue versus hiring a car/driver.  While it costs a bit more, the car/driver is still not expensive and would provide much more flexibility.  Also, we can make stops along the way - there seem to be a few interesting things that would be worth a slight detour... and we can also take the pass as we get near Hue for great vistas....   Thank you for your thoughts!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We're going to Iceland in the summer, but that will be in a different topic...

Always wanted to go there. Don't know why though....looks frigging cold

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Always wanted to go there. Don't know why though....looks frigging cold

In the summer it's not bad at all and quite green.  Mid to upper 50's?  Great hiking weather and so many incredible things to see.  It will be cold when we do our glacier walk though.

• Like 1