• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Duck Confit

Paul Fink

1 hour ago, Recoil Rob said:

Not a reference to bahn mi, more a comparison of how when I learned to cook I was browning the onions. About 15 years ago I learned I was caramelizing the onions. Now I subject the onions to the Maillard reaction....

Gotcha.  I'd say that your changing use of 3 different words (browning, caramelizing and undergoing the Maillard reaction) to describe the same process is different from the evolution of the Vietnamese term for wheat bread to include both the original usage and entire sandwiches made from that bread.  So the name of a part (bread) is  now also used to define the whole (sandwich).  That evolution happened within the Vietnamese language but only the second usage made the transition into English as a synonym for Vietnamese sandwich.  

And like many adopted foods, we manage to slap the name on all manner of variations (like duck confit :D)that stray rather far afield from the earliest iteration.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

Same general process as the loss-of-copyright for words that go into the general usage. I won't swear this is correct -- there may still be copyright protection on these, but things like "kleenex" for facial tissue, and "coke" for any sort of soft drink (OK, maybe that's just in the south). If I recall my Journalism 1011 class correctly (and that would have been, ahem, some 40-ish years ago), things like "foil" used to be copyrighted. Memory fails me on some of the others.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Road Ragu is pretty definitive. My husband, after seeing what happened to a very unfortunate small dog, coined the term "Bichon Fricassee." Okay, I apologize to the lovers of the breed. 

Question about prepping duck confit for a sandwich: I'm going to make confit banh mi for a little Boxing Day party, now that it's in my head. I've eaten it, but never made it. Nor have I ever made confit. I'm going to buy prepared confit. Looks like opinions are divided between the oven method to crisp and warm vs the stove top cast iron method. What are the pros and cons?

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/19/2016 at 1:02 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Road Ragu is pretty definitive. My husband, after seeing what happened to a very unfortunate small dog, coined the term "Bichon Fricassee." Okay, I apologize to the lovers of the breed. 

Question about prepping duck confit for a sandwich: I'm going to make confit banh mi for a little Boxing Day party, now that it's in my head. I've eaten it, but never made it. Nor have I ever made confit. I'm going to buy prepared confit. Looks like opinions are divided between the oven method to crisp and warm vs the stove top cast iron method. What are the pros and cons?

I find in a pan, with oil, gets crispier faster.

28 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Yinz are making me wish I had a ready source of duck confit that didn't cost a fortune.

You might be amazed at how good chicken confit can be!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog