• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Duck Confit

Paul Fink

My wife discovered that Costco has D'Artagnans Duck Magret Breast and Duck Leg Confit at a great price. Six magret and six legs.

We are planning a party. I have lots of ideas for the magret but I'm drawing a blank on the confit. Any ideas?

• Like 1

Tacos.

Sear and shred the legs. Warm your tortillas over a flame or in a skillet. Brush on some hoisin sauce, add the duck, and garnish with your choice of toppings. Shaved radish, pickled red onions, and a brunoise of jalapeno and yellow/red bell peppers work well. Or go with a shredded/julienne-peeler-thing mix of cucumber, carrot, and dikon. Or whatever.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2

I love that costco deal. I get a couple a year. The breasts are pretty big, you'll love it.

I often reduce balsamic to a syrup, glaze the duck confit (broken into shreds) and serve atop risotto.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Fink said:

My wife discovered that Costco has D'Artagnans Duck Magret Breast and Duck Leg Confit at a great price. Six magret and six legs.

We are planning a party. I have lots of ideas for the magret but I'm drawing a blank on the confit. Any ideas?

Checked costco.ca hoping for something similar. >:(

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On December 4, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Paul Fink said:

It is a good deal and one I've been pondering since a friend sent me the link.  The breast look super big and plump.  

My only concern is the shipping part.  It's been warm in Fla.  I'd hate to find them thawed when I open the box even though they are shipped with dry ice 

3 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

It is a good deal and one I've been pondering since a friend sent me the link.  The breast look super big and plump.  

My only concern is the shipping part.  It's been warm in Fla.  I'd hate to find them thawed when I open the box even though they are shipped with dry ice 

It really is a great deal.  I've had them delivered in summer when its in the 90s and there was plenty of dry ice in there.

• Like 1

Good to know.  I'll try to order if it's still available.  

I tried to contact them to insure a Wed delivery so I can be home to receive it.    Over an hour wait by phone and no special instructions line on the online order page.   Frustrating 

I'm a purist, one of my favorite things to do is to crisp it up under a broiler and then serve it atop a green salad. Some vinaigrette helps to cut the fat in the confit. Do I really need to say, served with good bread?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

• 2 weeks later...

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I take the meat of the confit leg/thigh and toss it into some pappardelle pasta with wild mushrooms, sometimes some spinach.  Then crisp the skin in a really hot oven and crumble it on top of the pasta.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Then crisp the skin in a really hot onion and crumble it on top of the pasta.

That would, indeed, be a really hot onion. :P

(I know, I know..."curse you, autocorrect!")

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Duck hash, duck pierogies, duck confit salad (using shredded confit). All ideas found in the cookbook from the restaurant Le Pigeon. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I see a couple refernces to making a confit bhan mi.

Bahn mi apparently means bread in Vietnamese so wouldn't it just be a confit sandwich?

"Banh mi"....is this the new "Maillard reaction=carmalization=browning"?

- Errol Flynn

21 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

I see a couple refernces to making a confit bhan mi.

Yep,  it's one of the duck confit sandwiches I mentioned in my post, along with grilled cheese and quesadillas, all of which fall under a very broad sandwich umbrella in my kitchen.

24 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

Bahn mi apparently means bread in Vietnamese so wouldn't it just be a confit sandwich?

Andrea Nguyen, author of The Banh Mi Handbook says the word does indeed mean bread but over time it has been used to mean sandwich and has is generally used to describe the ubiquitous Vietnamese sandwich. To me, saying "banh mi" is more descriptive than just "sandwich" as I assume it will start with a light, uber-crispy baguette and include pickled carrot and daikon, thin slices of jalapeño or other chili and fresh cilantro plus a little Maggi seasoning sauce.  More of Andrea's comments about banh mi here.

35 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

Banh mi"....is this the new "Maillard reaction=carmalization=browning"?

That's a new one one me.  I'm not sure what banh mi has to do with browning.  

Not a reference to bahn mi, more a comparison of how when I learned to cook I was browning the onions. About 15 years ago I learned I was caramelizing the onions. Now I subject the onions to the Maillard reaction....

• Like 1

- Errol Flynn