• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thinning out a caramel filling

pastryani

What's the best way to thin out a caramel filling for a bonbon?  It's a passion fruit caramel, so is the best choice passion fruit purée, cream, or something else?  Just wanted to know if there's generally a better option to use.

Thanks Jim D.  So there's something I'm struggling with: in bonbon making, everyone strives for a low water content (which will result in a longer shelf life).  So isn't adding water to the caramel counter-intuitive?  Or are caramels somehow exempt from the water content rule?

10 hours ago, pastryani said:

Thanks Jim D.  So there's something I'm struggling with: in bonbon making, everyone strives for a low water content (which will result in a longer shelf life).  So isn't adding water to the caramel counter-intuitive?  Or are caramels somehow exempt from the water content rule?

The last time I tested a plain caramel (Notter's recipe, intended to be piped into molds), the water activity reading was 0.56. As I think is the case with pâte de fruit, the sugar more than counteracts any water present. With an Aw of 0.56, the product can last for practically forever. And I think one can rely on getting a reading in this neighborhood since a caramel doesn't form until a certain percentage of liquid has evaporated. So if you add more liquid, you have to cook the mixture until it reaches that magic point once again. That's why I have sometimes found it convenient to make larger batches of caramel and then reheat any leftovers to use on another occasion (how's that for tempting the caramel gods--who can be as fickle as the chocolate deities!).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I regulate the consistency of caramels by the temperature to which I cook it.  For example, I do a salted caramel square which is poured into a frame, cut and enrobed.  I also do a molded bonbon filled with a salted caramel.  The recipes for each are identical but I cook the one for the bonbon to a lower temperature to keep a bit more moisture in it.  That allows a consistency where the caramel is firm enough to cap but soft enough to not be really chewy.  It doesn't spill out of the bonbon when you take a bite.  

• Like 1