• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America

Paul Fink

This unfortunately titled book changed my life. I always enjoyed cooking and idealized Julia Child &

Jacque Pepin. But I was a typical home cook. I would see a recipe and try to duplicate it little understanding about what I was doing.

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America talked about a philosophy of cooking. It showed me that there is more depth to cooking. A history. A philosophy.

The recipes are very approachable and you can make them on a budget from grocery store ingredients. I read it as a grad student in Oregon, in the late 80's I had access to lots of fresh ingredients. And some very nice wines, cheap! I was suppose to be studying physics but I end up learning more about wine & cooking.

Well, cooking is applied physics. ...and applied chemistry, and I suppose you could make a case for applied biology as well. :P

I have to agree that I find the most pleasure in books that provide context (cultural, sociological, scientific) for the food as well as just recipes. 

ETA: Welcome to eGullet, Paul! It's a fine community, and whatever your culinary interests you'll probably find someone here to share them. 

Edited by chromedome
added greetings (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning