• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Sous Vide Gadgets

rotuts

I guess I cheat. I heat the water in my SV pot on the stove, using my 16K BTU burner, to just under my target temperature. I put my choice of meat in the bags and seal them while the pot is on the stove.

I am not adverse to technology (I'm a retired electronics engineer) but I never use the Smartphone App to control my Anova. The wheel and button work just fine for me.

Side note: I received an email from Anova linking to some recipes. I thought the idea of SV Scalloped Potatoes sounded interesting ... until I saw that you SV the potatoes, then assemble the dish and put it into the oven.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I pointed out the article as I though it did a good job of pointing out the strengths and weakness of each product.

neither one is perfect , but each would be all you need to get cooking.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I pointed out the article as I though it did a good job of pointing out the strengths and weakness of each product.

neither one is perfect , but each would be all you need to get cooking.

Thank you.  I still don't understand why  so many people seem reluctant to start out with hot water!  I am sure there are times when hot water is perhaps not readily available but it certainly is in most home kitchens at least in this hemisphere.  My point being that the speed of bringing water to the required temperature is neither a plus nor a minus when comparing units intended for home use. Unless of course you are trying to heat your evening bath water. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I now have both, Anova and Joule.  Bought Joule because I needed an extra sous vide for our beach house.  Agree with @Anna N that starting with hot water (or even using tea kettle) makes water heating power mostly irrelevant.  To me small size of Joule is important since we like to rent apartments or houses when we travel and I bring a few kitchen gadgets with me.  Joule can easily fit into that care package.

• Like 1

I always use hot water , from the tap.  even when I do my Big SV jobs , in the 58 qt Beer Cooler.

its next to a bathtub and use the Home Hot Water.  I still use the SousVide Magic for these larger jobs.  it a bit rusty here and there , but still have a few miles on it.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I still don't understand why  so many people seem reluctant to start out with hot water!

Yes!!!

I ALWAYS start with hot water — bulk of it from the tap and adjusted as close to target temperature with hot water from the tea kettle [I have the patience and attention span of a gnat!]

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

From the article:

"When handling raw chicken, for instance, the last thing I wanted to do was touch my smartphone to start a timer."

Pfffft!!!!!

Wash your hands!

Or, if you're OCD like me, use a stylus! They're ~$1 at dollar stores.

I use a wi-fi tablet in the kitchen all the time.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!