• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

weinoo

Favorite Salad Dressing (Home Made)

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Interesting.  Not quite the same but similar to the batch of Peruvian green sauce I've been working my way through.  And since I put the Peruvian green sauce on salad, I suppose Peruvian green sauce counts as salad dressing.

Thanks!

NO cilantro, though!!!  I CAN NOT stand the taste of cilantro.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

NO cilantro, though!!!  I CAN NOT stand the taste of cilantro.

I still like you.  Myself, I love cilantro.  Yes, I know, it tastes like soap, but such nice soap.  I just made up another batch of Peruvian green sauce for tonight's chicken.  Not to mention tonight's salad.  And French fries.

• Like 1

As I age, cilantro tastes less soapy...more stink bug.

• Like 2

I think the cilantro in the spice mix is probably dried. I bought some dried cilantro once from The Fresh Market. It's one of those herbs that loses almost all taste if dried. I suspect it wouldn't bother cilantro haters in dried form, especially in a small part of a spice mix.

> ^ . . ^ <

Cilantro! Love a cilantro, mint, green lettuce salad! Especially with larb. :x

My favourite dressing for cilantro salad is the basic Vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham) of lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, red thai chili.  Sometimes I'll riff on it and add toasted sesame oil, soy, shallots or garlic.

• Like 1

I like lots of dressings but my favorite two are mustard vinaigrette and blue cheese in one form or another.

Mustard vinaigrette: spicy mustard, garlic, sherry vinegar, light olive oil [hate the Canola shit almost more than Satan], a few drops of GOOD fish sauce (essential), a little sweetness for balance and black pepper.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I try to find the good food in every situation!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse, curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Cilantro to me is the flavor of Mexico.  Although now I associate it with Asian dishes as well 

• Like 1

Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano. Add a little honey if the salad calls for a sweeter dressing. Add a little Dijon mustard if it seems to "fit."

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com