• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Different definitions of what a "sauce vierge" is

Garlic Guy

Wikipedia (and most of the recipes I can find online) describe a sauce vierge as "a French sauce made from olive oil, lemon juice, chopped tomato and chopped basil".

However, in Larousse Gastronomique it is described as a sauce made from butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper; whipped until fluffy.

What's up with the differing definitions?

Vierge means "virgin" which I suspect refers to the olive oil used in the sauce. How this translates to a butter based sauce is anyone's guess.

My 1977 version of Larousse doesn't have it at all. Michel Guerard has a recipe for Sauce Vierge in his 1976 'Cuisine Minceur' book that he also put in his book 'Cuisine Gourmande.'

His recipe is a bit more elaborate than that of more recent times. It also doesn't include either basil or lemon juice. His recipe has: tomatoes, garlic, chervil, parsley, tarragon, coriander seeds, fromage blanc, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and olive oil.

The use of olive oil rather than butter in a French sauce suggests to me that the concept stems from Guerard's Cuisine Minceur.

Michel Roux's version is closer to yours and I suspect that this is the one that has been picked up by the UK chefs and wikipedia as being "genuine."

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

The 1977 version should have it on page 967, where it says:

VIERGE  - Butter mixed with salt,  pepper  and  lemon juice,
beaten well in a bowl until it becomes frothy. This whipped
butter  is  served with asparagus  and  other  boiled vegetables.

The recent 2009 version has similar.

Edited by Garlic Guy (log)

Just now, Garlic Guy said:

How odd. I did a search using Eat Your Books and the Larousse Gastronomique was the only recipe (out of 122 recipes for sauce vierge) that includes butter.

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes?q="sauce vierge" butter&sort=date_recipe_published desc&sortsmall=on

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/5?q="sauce+vierge"&sort=date_recipe_published+desc&sortsmall=on

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, Garlic Guy said:

My mistake, looked at sauces rather than under Vierge. It is on page 967. Still can't understand why it is the only sauce vierge I could find, including on French web sites, that uses butter.

Edited by nickrey
added second sentence (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

So, I searched French sites for "sauce vierge recette" and they  all have a recipe 
for an olive oil based sauce. Except I found this one which is for
"SAUCE MOUSSEUSE, DITE AUSSI BEURRE À LA VIERGE" translated means
"FOAMY SAUCE, ALSO KNOWN AS BUTTER VIRGIN"
http://www.cuisineetvinsdefrance.com/,sauce-mousseuse-dite-aussi-beurre-a-la-vierge,54606.asp

So then I searched for "BEURRE VIERGE" and I got a couple of hits for a butter based sauce..

Edited by Paul Fink (log)