• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Just now, quiet1 said:

I am well aware he doesn't NEED one, but now you guys got me poking around more I'm mighty tempted to get him one of these: http://shop.standardspoon.com/collections/all-items/products/wingman-cocktail-spoon (swanky cocktail spoon) because it is exactly the sort of ridiculousness he likes. However that would cut into the funds available for supplying stuff to MIX with said spoon, and I feel like it would be very mean to give him cocktail stuff but no good way of immediately trying it out if he doesn't have much booze in the house.

I know shaking a drink meant to be stirred doesn't end well - is the reverse also true or can you get away with stirring some traditionally shaken drinks without much loss of quality? (I know anything with egg would really need a good shake, but something just with juice?) I'm wondering if I can skip trying to figure out a good cocktail shaker and use that $$ for other stuff without limiting him to only traditionally stirred drinks until he finds a shaker he likes himself.

That spoon was designed in San Diego! It's a very cool product.

Make sure to look at Cocktail Kingdom as well, they have a great selection! I love my teardrop cocktail spoon.

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Just now, quiet1 said:

I am well aware he doesn't NEED one, but now you guys got me poking around more I'm mighty tempted to get him one of these: http://shop.standardspoon.com/collections/all-items/products/wingman-cocktail-spoon (swanky cocktail spoon) because it is exactly the sort of ridiculousness he likes. However that would cut into the funds available for supplying stuff to MIX with said spoon, and I feel like it would be very mean to give him cocktail stuff but no good way of immediately trying it out if he doesn't have much booze in the house.

I know shaking a drink meant to be stirred doesn't end well - is the reverse also true or can you get away with stirring some traditionally shaken drinks without much loss of quality? (I know anything with egg would really need a good shake, but something just with juice?) I'm wondering if I can skip trying to figure out a good cocktail shaker and use that $$ for other stuff without limiting him to only traditionally stirred drinks until he finds a shaker he likes himself.

That spoon was designed in San Diego! It's a very cool product.

Make sure to look at the cocktail spoons at  MakeCocktail Kingdom as well, they have a great selection!