• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dale De Groff Mixes FOR YOU!

Dale De Groff has very kindly offered to mix eGullet members up their very first taste of the Flaming Orange Gully personally at The Players Club Soho (click here for the club's website) on Wednesday 22 January.

Dale has made time in a very hectic schedule during a short visit to London to be at the club to prepare the cocktail he created especially for this site and chat to members. He will be in the club for around an hour between 6.00 and 8.00pm. Entrance is free and the drink will be available at a discounted price (to be confirmed). Can you please let me know if you are interested in this so I can give Dale and the club some idea of numbers.

Hope to see you there.

an Egulleter of some repute and girth

I know you weren't talking about me, but can I use that for my signature line anyway?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

an Egulleter of some repute and girth

I know you weren't talking about me, but can I use that for my signature line anyway?

Sorry, Fat Guy. It was my girth and I am thoroughly territorial about it. Re the player, drank my first proper Martinis last night there, courtesy of Mr M.

My spine tingles still...

Jay

Jay, write about this for your paper. Surely this is the first-ever instance of the world's greatest bartender custom-designing a cocktail for the world's greatest Web site, with availability on both sides of the pond and moral support from Simon Majumdar. Indeed, even in the annals of second-rate bartenders and second-rate Web sites it's hard to find examples of custom-tailored cocktails. You have it in your power to make the Flaming Orange Gully the first runaway hit virtual cocktail in history, and we'll take you all the way to the top with us.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This would be the perfect place for you to meet all the eGullet regulars as well. In addition, it will be the official eGullet celebration of my 38th Birthday (which is actually on 25th Jan but I like a long run up at these things).

I shall be there, sans repute, sans girth.

I haven't had a cocktail since nineteen canteen (apart from Bloody Mary's, which I suspect don't qualify) and this is just an unmissable opportunity.

And I shall be delighted to buy a birthday beverage for anyone whose birthday falls on the 25th January in this year or any other.

I am very surprised that this has had a slow response given that

a) UK Egulleters are well known for their love of booze

b) Dale De Groff is without doubt the greatest maker/creator of cocktails on the planet ( sorry Salvatore )

c) The Match Bar chain ( under the guidance of DDG's consultancy) has become the most consistently good bar chain in the UK and arguably the world. If you doubt that take the time to talk to any of the bar staff at any of their branches and marvel at their knowledge of the drinks on offer and the care with which they make them

d) Two words, Discounted drinks ( that alone should ensure Ms J's attendance )

I for one am thrilled to have the opportunity to meet DDG and am delighted that Andy has been able to wangle it. All those PM's I have been sending saying what a tosser he is will now have to be deleted

Let's try and get a full house for the mixatollah, eh?

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

d) Two words, Discounted drinks ( that alone should ensure Ms J's attendance )

Hhmmph. :angry:

I will be attending in honour of Andy's birthday. Of course, of course.

Edit: is there room for non-members? Mr J might like to come along, too.

Edited by Miss J (log)

I'd be there like a shot but my liver's away.

Actually have a prior engagement and cannot extricate myself. Have a great time. I've told Andy I'll buy him a birthday drink at the Thai feast (well I might pour him a glass of my wine).

Which reminds me. I'd better re-post the date.

Steve,

When will you next get your cocktails mixed by Dale?

Do you do this Dry Jan thing every year? I am palpitating unpleasantly at the thought.

That's exactly why I'm planning to go. :smile: I'll probably hate myself more for missing it than for going.

This is the second year of Dry January. Last year it was a really good idea after a decidedly wet December. This year it's less essential for actual survival. Sure I'll be shunned by most of the people I work with and they'll call me weak, but I'll just have to put up with it :wink:

will the place be open to the hoi polloi or just us and selected guests?  would love to come but can't go anywhere too crowded at the moment.

It can get quite crowded but between 6-8 should not be too bad.

We can rope off a VIP section marked "soaks who slipped on the ice when pissed and now their husband has to dress them" for you although it may be a bit lonely

S

This is the second year of Dry January.  Last year it was a really good idea after a decidedly wet December.  This year it's less essential for actual survival.  Sure I'll be shunned by most of the people I work with and they'll call me weak, but I'll just have to put up with it   :wink:

As long as you carry on being dry the next day I guess we can turn a blind eye.

Just don't come in the next day and invite us all to the pub for lunch. :smile: