• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ZeroDosage

Wine Lists

Hi guys,

I'm keen to hear what your favourite wine lists are, and why!

Links help - I'm loving the Hakkasan lists at the moment, and the Portland london one - the layout is pretty fun,

F

X

Dutch wine is one of my favourite fine. I don't like wines so much but when i visited at one of the bar in Amsterdam and drank there then i found it very tasty.

• Haha 1

I was just using Mark Oldman's list of value wines for a while ($20 or less)

Now I'm checking out Robert Parker's list (where cost is $20 or less) 

so recommendations were good and some not so good

interested to see if there is a better source list of recommendations that's reliably good all the time at an affordable price 

"Hmmm....what would Don Quixote do?" 

White girl rose wine - $7.99 at Trader Joe's

Good taste and good price

• Like 1

http://igodl.com/blog

Make it a great day, put a smile on your face

I like Oz Clark

http://ozclarke.com

he presents three wines these days on James Martin Saturday Morning , a  GB  TV show.

some of the terms he uses make more sense to me than standard jargon

Ive tried grape varieties based on his descriptions and enjoyed them.

his list for a specific bottle probably only work for GreatBritain.

the crew at my local TJ's has several people that know they wines they are selling.

they know what I like so Ive found some very tasty wine at very good prices there.

and you can take the bottle basck if you don't like it.    I try not to do that very often if at all.

they have also opened bottles for me in my price range  ( < 10 USD ) it they think they are close to something I might like.

they know a lot more about what they are selling than the overall group at Total Wine.

one thing about TJ's :  they buy very large lots of wine that they think suits their clientele .

then when sold out , its sold out !

they had a Macon-Ige a while back for $ 9,98.    and extraordinary wine for the price.

I bought several cases I like it so much for ' week-end wine '

thought of buying some more , then it was gone !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2