• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese barbeque pork -- ideas, please

Alex

While browsing through Grace Young's Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge last week, I ran across her recipe for Chinese Barbeque Pork, of which I'm extremely fond but never made at home. As the kitchen gods would have it, I recently acquired a small pork shoulder from my favorite purveyor, so here we go. I then checked out Ken Hom's recipe, which is similar except for the omission of sesame oil, substitution of ground black pepper for white, and addition of garlic and five-spice powder.

I know that this pork is traditional in some noodle dishes (Singapore noodles, etc.), soups, and fried rice. It also can be served on its own. However, me being me, I was wondering if any eG'ers knew of, or could otherwise suggest, some less traditional and intriguing uses.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Wow.  I've posted so many variations on it I can't count.  Do a search here for char siu and you should find a lot of ideas, mine and many others.  My latest fave is chunks or country rib sized pieces done in the air fryer.  Check out the air fryer topic for more info.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

There's a recipe that's done in a wok. I've seen that doing the rounds here. It's maybe the least time-consuming variation I've seen. I liked the method in the recently-released All Under Heaven, though. The book itself is a worthy addition to most anyone's collection, and the pork appealed to adult and child alike. I served leftovers in a sandwich, just as I would with any kind of roast or barbecued meat. It's not like the flavour profile is too far removed from barbecue.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

8 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Wow.  I've posted so many variations on it I can't count.  Do a search here for char siu and you should find a lot of ideas, mine and many others.  My latest fave is chunks or country rib sized pieces done in the air fryer.  Check out the air fryer topic for more info.

Thank you, thank you. I had searched for just the English name. Duh.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

"--- I ran across her recipe for Chinese Barbeque Pork, ---"

There are two main kinds of BBQ pork. Which one are you talking about?

dcarch

This one, taken from another of her books. This is the Ken Hom recipe I mentioned. Sorry for not linking to them in my op.