• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 Restaurants that Changed How We Eat

Shel_B

Nope, won't stream for me either, although it looks like it will, but then just sits at the opening screen after I click the arrow to start the 8:56 minute video.

Mmmkay, reclicked the link, and now it's playing within seconds of the first try? Gotta love non-command line interfaces where it's impossible to diagnose problems. At least sometimes they are self-healing.

0? Sylvia's in Harlem - soul food

1. Delmonico's NY financial district - food that was French with new world twists

2. Shrafft's again NY - catering to middle class folks, and notably, for it's time females, for the first time.

3. Howard Johnson's upstate NY - fried clams :wub: and franfurts around the car culture. I miss the sweet clam strips so.

4. La Pavillon - catered to the upper class

5. The Four Seasons - advent of seasonal menus and the modern power lunch. 

6. Mama Leone's NY - Introduced a lot of people to Italian food, marking the true globalization of the American economy.

7. The Mandarin in San Francisco - in 1961 chef-owner Cecilia Chang introduced food north and west of Cantonese.

7-b/8. Freidman's Restaurant?????????? I swear they mentioned this here, but no details ??????? Weird??????

8. Chez Panisse, Berkeley CA - fresh, safe and wholesome food from chef Alice Waters.

9. Antoines, New Oreleans, LA - since 1840 cajun and sparkling fresh seafood.

10. Sylvia's in Harlem - they cover the to-go Thanksgiving meals this restaurant sells beaucoup of. 

Hope you folks can load the video. It worked for me on second try. I enjoyed transcribing it, though, because right now, bringing a little order into the world of something I can control is inordinately comforting.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

14 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

8. Chez Panisse, Berkeley CA - fresh, safe and wholesome food from chef Alice Waters.

Wow, to think my parents were resigned to eating unfresh, unsafe and unwholesome food for their entire childhood! Thank goddess Alice Waters was the first one to combine all three! Surely McDonalds and Chipotle deserve to be on that list way more than a lot of these entrants.

• Like 2

PS: I am a guy.

Only America has restaurants? The headline is very misleading. The book on which the video is based is more sensible, being titled "10 restaurants that changed American food". But it's still nonsense.

"They even invented brunch". What drivel. People have been eating brunch since prehistoric times.

And no-one did seasonal foods until the "Four Seasons" hit on the concept? See pre-history above.

American Chinese oddly passed over in one uninformative sentence?

Just another load of clickbait.

(Not sure why people can't see it. The link is just to a YouTube video. Even I can access it in China where YouTube is officially censored.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's NPR for goodness sake! xD

"PAUL FREEDMAN: They (Delmonico`s) invented Lobster Newburg.  They invented Baked Alaska."

No!

They may have created their version of each, but they didn't 'invent' them.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

12 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

Surely McDonalds and Chipotle deserve to be on that list way more than a lot of these entrants.

I'm semi-ashamed to admit that my entire purpose for opening this thread was to comment "McDonalds". The fact that somebody already beat me to it is possibly even better than if I'd done it myself. :D

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I am sooo glad we have such a long oceanic coastline! Imagine what we would be eating if the USA was a land-locked nation!!!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

these changed Restaurant Eating  ( in the USA )  and mostly NYC.

if the We means all of us  or most of us , again USA , then as mentioned , it would have to be McDonalds  and one of those

national chains with the large 'Captan' chairs round a large table serving potato skins  ( deep fried ) with tons of melted cheese ( processed ) and sour cream and chives.

3,000 calories a serving at least  

these chains created   Fat Land .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

My impression of the piece is that it is a New Yorker picking restaurants he knows as examples of how food was received throughout the history of America.  Here in Kansas City, my 72 years of growing up left different ideas of restaurants which educated  how we thought of food.  There was the lunch counter at local department stores. Katz was the one I remember the most. Dad worked for the railroad and some of the fanciest food I experienced was on board the train dining cars and Harvey's at the Union Station. Campus Hideaway in Lawrence was the pre-curser to Pizza Hut.  Winesteads on the Plaza was  where I had my first cheesecake though it was a hamburger joint before McD's was ever imagined, the Tamale stand guy that  came around the block once in a while in the evening and the couple who served the first tacos I had out of their upstairs apartment in the Argentine district. I had my first loose meat hamburger at a drive-in restaurant. Mom grew up in Arkansas during the Depression and her food was pretty close to what people call soul food today.  Oh yeah, there was the tavern across the street that on Meatless Fridays served New Orleans style peel your own shrimp.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Is it wrong that all I want after reading this is McDonalds? I mean id be happy to eat at Delmonico's and even happier to eat at Mama Leone's outpost at Citifield, Mama's of Corona's but I'm not in the mood to deal with driving and parking and all that. Plus now that Mickey D's serves breakfast all day...

Edited by MetsFan5
Spelling while posting in bed is hard. (log)
  • Like 2