• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

addendum

On 11/30/2016 at 9:59 AM, Smithy said:

My extended family has essentially abandoned roast turkey and ham in favor of prime rib, with the question of how it should be cooked.  One family branch gives it a good salt/herb rub and barbecues it over a hot gas grill; another branch smokes it.  Either way we get a good, hot, brown crust on the outside and plenty of rare meat inside, to everyone's groaning delight.

The question came up this year about branching out a bit.  The duck posts above have me really jonesing for duck.  If I could lay my hands on some I'd be happy to roast it for another night's family feast.  How much duck should I acquire - if I can - for, say, 10 people?

The easiest solution to the duck problem is to sautee off some duck breasts (Moulard Duck D'artagnan ) is a good choice.  That way everyone gets what they like;  feel free as to inquire as to the method I use. You also get tons of duck fat to re-use which is useful.

I myself will be making for the holiday season:

Duck breast as mentioned.

Whole Duck roasted.

Standing rib roast w/ all the trimmings.

I'll need to go on a diet soon.

Ciao.

--edit Smithy of those breasts you'd need about 5 half boned breasts for that many people maybe 3 whole ducks would suffice for 10. In either case that is pretty rich fare. I know my wife & I frequently enjoy a 1/2 duck breast for shabbat between us & actually only eat about 1/2 of it which gives us another meal each later on.

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

addendum

My extended family has essentially abandoned roast turkey and ham in favor of prime rib, with the question of how it should be cooked.  One family branch gives it a good salt/herb rub and barbecues it over a hot gas grill; another branch smokes it.  Either way we get a good, hot, brown crust on the outside and plenty of rare meat inside, to everyone's groaning delight.

The question came up this year about branching out a bit.  The duck posts above have me really jonesing for duck.  If I could lay my hands on some I'd be happy to roast it for another night's family feast.  How much duck should I acquire - if I can - for, say, 10 people?

The easiest solution to the duck problem is to sautee off some duck breasts (Moulard Duck D'artagnan ) is a good choice.  That way everyone gets what they like;  feel free as to inquire as to the method I use. You also get tons of duck fat to re-use which is useful.

Whole Duck roasted.

Ciao.

--edit Smithy of those breasts you'd need about 5 half boned breasts for that many people maybe 3 whole ducks would suffice for 10. In either case that is pretty rich fare. I know my wife & I frequently enjoy a 1/2 duck breast for shabbat & actually only eat about 1/2 of it which gives us another meal each later on.

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

Whole Duck roasted.

Ciao.