• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Supermarket Promotional Leaflets

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks! I just wondered what someone felt needed a model or pop star to endorse.

You're welcome. Yes, those who know these things tell me that he is actor Li Chen. I'm not sure if being the face of insipid, sickly-sweet yoghurt is related to his acting ability.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The ads come in the mail here on Tuesdays. I don't usually bother but since I am pet-sitting away from home base I scanned through. The only one of interest was the huge Latin market down the road. They have a vast and varied produce section; the kind of place with roots I have never seen (and I've been cooking with yuca and the like forever) Headed there tomorrow.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this coming. Hot pot season is approaching, although later than usual. It's the global warming. And the supermarkets are getting behind it promoting the basics required.

From 12 o'clock: Thin sliced lamb, unsliced lamb, fish balls, Chinese yam, shiitake mushrooms, goji berries (wolfberry), eryngi/king oyster mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, carrots, white button mushrooms.

hpot.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:10 AM, lindag said:

I [...] pull all of them out of the paper and throw them directly into the trash. 

Don't you have a recycling program in your area?

... Shel

1 hour ago, Shel_B said:

Don't you have a recycling program in your area?

Actually, believe it or not, there is no recycling in our state.  Too large with a too small population = prohibitively expensive.

Here they have blue bins in (sparse) locations around town, and you're supposed to drive there and put stuff in the bins yourself. Some do, most don't. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

One of the things I love about China. Despite its reputation for poor environmental care, it has a superb recycling system. I don't throw away my garbage. People come to buy it from me!

There is a cardboard box in the corner of my study in which I throw any waste paper including supermarket leaflets. read or otherwise. When it's full I sell it and get enough for a couple of breakfasts in my local xiao long bao shop.

Broken computer equipment, kitchen appliances and cell phones etc can fetch a good price.

Beer bottles etc are all returned to the shop downstairs giving me a refund which goes towards the next purchase.

Even my food scraps can be recycled for pig feed.

I won't trouble you with tales about "night soil". If you don't already know, you can look it up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

One of the things I love about China. Despite its reputation for poor environmental care, it has a superb recycling system. I don't throw away my garbage. People come to buy it from me!

There is a cardboard box in the corner of my study in which I throw any waste paper including supermarket leaflets. read or otherwise. When it's full I sell it and get enough for a couple of breakfasts in my local xiao long bao shop.

Broken computer equipment, kitchen appliances and cell phones etc can fetch a good price.

Beer bottles etc are all returned to the shop downstairs giving me a refund which goes towards the next purchase.

Same here, almost anything that is 'recyclable' is salable.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 months later...

Really happy to see the release of an app for grocery store and other flyers for  those of us north of the 49th.   The app is called reebee. Don't think a disclaimer is needed but for those who require it -- you have it.   My only interest in this app is finding things on sale. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My state doesn't have the population or economy to support a recycling program.  If you want to do it you must take it yourself to a recycling center, if you can find one; those that are there tend to come and go.

It was much of a shock when I moved here, I was used to serious recycling requirements where I lived previously.

Edited by lindag (log)

The grocers around here used to send sale circulars in the snail mail. None of them do now. They still have them by the entrance if you want one. If you'd like to peruse what's on sale in the comfort of your home, though, you have to go online. They periodically change the software, and currently, Food Lion's is malfunctioning to the point I just wait until I get to the store to look at it.

Nowadays, you can't even get one of their shopper discount cards unless you fork over an e-mail address. I still have mine from the time before they started this policy, so I'm not bombarded with stuff I have to clear out of my inbox.

Every once in a while they will send coupons through snail mail, but that is diminishing to almost nothing too. The last snail mail communication I got from Food Lion was just an elaborate promotion of their "app". Not very useful to me as I don't even have a cellular phone, much less a smart one. I was hoping for coupons. They did waste a lot of stiff, glossy paper complete with a clever pop-up like a greeting card. That went straight into the recycle bin.

I will say this for them. They are getting smarter about what kind of coupons they send or print out at the cash register. I used to get tons of coupons for processed foods. I almost never buy those, and the coupons didn't change my behavior. I get coupons now for produce and just this week a coupon for $5 off my next shopping order printed out at the register and I can use that for anything. I have to come back within a week to get it, though. That may happen if I can work up the energy for the trek on a good weather day.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

we get the weekly circulars for Shop Rite, Acme (local to the Philadelphia area), Wegmans (sporadically), and McCaffrey's (sporadically-it is a small local chain).

Both Shop Rite and Wegmans do online digital coupons that give you additional deals which get loaded to your loyalty card. Whole Foods is testing this in selected markets also, the one near my office has a Rewards program where they email you a "reward" periodically to select/load onto your card. It might be something like $5 off $25 of produce, for example.

I've accepted the lack of privacy in using these various rewards/loyalty cards. I don't care if they know my food buying habits and convey that to the manufacturers if it means I can save money. Call it a bribe, if you will.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Smokeydoke said:

You can buy a watermelon for less than 32 cents. Yes, amazing.

Oh, it didn't occur to me, is that per pound? That isn't as amazing, but still good value.

Prices for everything except the luo han guo and the turkey legs are per 500 grams, equal to 1.1 pounds. The other two give the price each.

Oh my, I glanced at the item (chicken  or duck I assume) on the top left.  I thought it was a bat

A fat one but none the less a bat.  I think I just April Fooled myself!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Oh my, I glanced at the item (chicken  or duck I assume) on the top left.  I thought it was a bat

A fat one but none the less a bat.  I think I just April Fooled myself!

This one?

5ac0a07962b1c_pipachicken.thumb.jpg.4fb32297ce09270133a03fa13bc1ec84.jpg

Yes,  I sort  of see a bat. But actually it gets its name from something quite different. The spatchcocked chicken is considered to resemble a pipa, a four stringed Chinese musical instrument.

pipa.jpg.991f2f76f941b6c1fb1e8cd88ea7dab6.jpg

This image is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

Nancheng is just the name of the supermarket chain.

I agree, more batty than pipa-like, but ultimately more like a spatchcocked chicken.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Yes,  I've noticed that the huge Hispanic megamarkets like Vallarta have been expanding their client base to include other ethnicities like Middle Eastern and Caribbean, and South Asian ("Indian").  99 Ranch Market was pretty much all Chinese focused when I started going 27 years ago. It is now very inclusive of South East Asian cuisine.  The clientele has steadily come to include folks from South Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. I love it. There is a lot of ingredient overlap as well as common interest in both quantity and freshness. 

• Like 3