• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long to reheat Turkey Sous Vide?

FeChef

This year i decided to take a 22lb turkey and remove the Leg quarters and sous vide @165F for 6 hours. I also removed the turkey crown and sous vide it @ 150F for 4 hours. Both were immediately ice chilled and put into the fridge. The plan is to reheat back in the sous vide @ 135F and right before serving time, deep fry in the turkey fryer for a few minutes to crisp up the skins.

I just am just not sure the time needed to bring this pretty large whole deboned (3-4 inch at the thickest spot) turkey breast up to temp. The leg portion is about the same thickness maybe slightly thinner. Given there is 4 hours till serving time, I am wondering what effect 135F would have if left in for 4 hours? I am looking for traditional textures. Relatives will not eat if any hint of pink.

Anyway, 1,2,3,4 hours @ 135F from 38F already pre cooked. 3-4 inches thick.

thanks

Edited by Smithy
Added tag (log)

It all worked out. I put it back in the sous vide 2 1/2 hours before i had to deep fry.

I was just trying to avoid cooking it longer then needed to bring back up to temp. Didn't want the breast to become mealy. Ive had a breast become mealy when cooked longer then 4 hours.

This breast turned out perfect. The legs and thighs i was less concerned about getting mealy. They turned out great aswell. Next year i will just repeat these temps and times.