• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn Pudding for Thanksgiving

Shel_B

I'm not Shel_B, but here's a link to the discussion of the Corn Pudding recipe that used to be posted on the Road Food site when Jane and Michael Stern owned it. The new owners pretty much gutted and ruined the site, and all the recipes are gone. The last post by susanhopebell most closely resembles the recipe I copied down into my permanent hard copy recipe file from the website before the Sterns retired.

I have made it many times, and have some personal adjustment notes I've added over the years. If anyone's interested, I'll post it. Unfortunately, I failed to note the restaurant in New England somewhere that shared the recipe with them. I do remember that they promoted it as a great cold weather party dish.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

It's really hard to beat the corn pudding recipe that is based around Jiffy cornbread mix.

The recipe?  One site alone that I checked had 16 pages of recipes under the search for Jiffy corn pudding.  There's another site with "10 best Jiffy corn bread mix" recipes.  To which recipe are you referring?

... Shel

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:51 AM, nonkeyman said:

It looks really good! Do you have your recipe?

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tees-corn-pudding

A couple of thoughts: don't use ultra-pasteurized cream with additives such as carrageenan, etc.  Be careful not to overbake ... there seems to be a fine line between a nicely browned top and being overbaked.  If you go the "southwestern" route, you can easily double the amount of green chilies the recipe calls for, and adding cumin with some other pepper, like Aleppo or cayenne, is a nice way to go.  Good quality frozen corn kernels work well here.  Canned corn, which has been drained, is fine, but I feel it adds too much moisture  and so a little extra flour may be helpful.  I've not tried mixing in some corn starch to see how that would work along with the flour.  I may try such a mixture the next time I make the dish.

... Shel

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

The recipe?  One site alone that I checked had 16 pages of recipes under the search for Jiffy corn pudding.  There's another site with "10 best Jiffy corn bread mix" recipes.  To which recipe are you referring?

2 pints (or cans) corn (if you're using cans, the canonical usage is one can whole-kernel, drained, and one can cream-style. I use frozen I put up last sumer)

1 box sweet Jiffy cornbread mix

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup sour cream

1/2 stick butter, melted

Stir everything together and bake about 45 minutes at 350.

Easy. Good.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com