• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinzall - Dave Arnold's food centrifuge

blue_dolphin

I was the one who did it.  Just decided to try.   I did 1kg beef, 2g bromelain, cut 1/2in dice.  Cooked 3hrs @53c.  Strained the liquid out: goopy, gross mess.  Dejected.  Womp Womp.  But decided to spin the liquid anyways, and got ~200cc clear red jus!  Then spun the 'chunks' (manually balanced equal weight), and got out ~100cc more for just under 300cc yield.  Haven't cooked with it yet, but appears to have worked quite well!  I haven't taken pics yet, but I can say that it DID seem to work beautifully.  

@whenric 

thank you !

I haven't looked up in MC how they made the Jus ...

I do recall a video they made available  

does anyone have a ref to that vid ?

Im sure I have in somewhere in a billion-gazillion book marks

would you have extracted ore Jus if you ground the meat ?

either w  a grinder or the Cuisinart  chill - pulse - chill  etc 

method ?

my guess is no.  Too much emulsified fats and stuff.  But I don't know for sure.  I've wondered about doing agar stock clarification.  I don't remember where I read it, but saw a blog post about agar clarified stock, and there were some weird agar-gelatin interactions.

stock = fail city.  400cc chicken stock from freezer (real, from carcass), thawed, de-fatted.  100cc H2O + 1g telephone brand agar, hydrated 5min in microwave.  Allowed to gel together at room temp (maybe the agar will gel but the gelatin won't?).  Put it in spinzall last night, fell asleep (spinzall in garage, temp 50s F.  Woke up this AM, spun again.  No puck at all.  Sucker wanted to clear, but couldn't.  Cloudy gel suspended in clear gel, no puck at all.  Maybe if I kept it warmer?  Maybe if I hadn't fallen asleep last night after first spin and let it sit in cool garage overnight?

Screenshot 2017-10-10 08.01.17.png

not that Im advocating this :

but if you keep the mass ciold , would filtering the total mass in a fine paper filter get you where you wanted to go ?

was there beef fat in you beef jus experiment ?

if so , it suggests that chicken fat does not harden enough for these speeds to help clarify chicken stock.

chicken fat floats.

4 hours ago, whenric said:

stock = fail city.  400cc chicken stock from freezer (real, from carcass), thawed, de-fatted.  100cc H2O + 1g telephone brand agar, hydrated 5min in microwave.  Allowed to gel together at room temp (maybe the agar will gel but the gelatin won't?).  Put it in spinzall last night, fell asleep (spinzall in garage, temp 50s F.  Woke up this AM, spun again.  No puck at all.  Sucker wanted to clear, but couldn't.  Cloudy gel suspended in clear gel, no puck at all.  Maybe if I kept it warmer?  Maybe if I hadn't fallen asleep last night after first spin and let it sit in cool garage overnight?

Not sure how filtration with agar in conjunction with gelatin would work. As far as I understand agar filtration, it works by exploiting syneresis, i.e. the "sweating" of the liquid phase from the agar gel. Gelatin, especially at temperatures below 37 °C, would mostly prevent that effect (by binding more water). Also, even if syneresis occurs in these conditions, the yield would probably be low and the body (gelatin) be lost from the stock. 

I'm not sure if the technique is useful at all for clarifying gelatinous stocks, but if so, you'd probably have to keep the liquid between the melting points of gelatin and agar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, adey73 said:

surprised this topic lost momentum almost 2 months ago..... no new experiments or results?

Can the Spinzall mix bread dough?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2017 at 1:56 PM, Docrjm said:

Did a Bananas Justino but added some amylase also got more product back than started with

D72D9800-FAB9-4836-B764-62B37D52DCF6.jpeg

Please explain that? I've done apricot Justinos with mine (following the recipe in Liquid Intelligence) and my yield isn't great - maybe 70-80%

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

Pre-orders just opened for the Spinzall 2.0 -- it sounds like they did a lot of work to address common user issues with the first model.

https://modernistpantry.samcart.com/products/spinzall?utm_source=banner&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=spinzall&ref=mp

Looks like a great unit.

Damn-it, I wish I had a use for this thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1