• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinzall - Dave Arnold's food centrifuge

blue_dolphin

On 9/16/2017 at 6:45 AM, adey73 said:

so those who bought the first run, does it feel like a quality build?

Extremely high quality build. This is higher quality materials that pretty much any other device in the kitchen. I'm blown away by the quality of the materials and level of thought that went into the design of each component although also not surprised given Dave designed it. I seriously hope this spurs him into developing a long line of different products.

Getting great results so far. I've done strawberry juice, banana juice to make banana sorbet with the most unbelievable incredible flavor, cold brew coffee that is smoother than traditional toddy based and seems far more caffeinated I assume due to the fact that more oils are extracted in this vs being somewhat filtered out in typical toddy based cold brew, corn water for soup etc. All amazing results. I will say for those of you that have one/getting one that the pectinex sp-l is an essential ingredient if you want to see clarified product. Thankfully I had some laying around but looks like dave has a starter kit that you can order with the units that includes it. Would def be sure to add that to your order.

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

I've got the fever. I seriously can't justify it though. I have no where to put it and no money to spend on it. Just like the $600 juicer I'd want to buy along with the Spinzall.

For now, I've got some SPL and a Chemex.

It just ain't the same.

If your thinking of spending that much on a juicer you should get a norwalk. It at least retains its value and there is no comparison in the quality of juice and level of nutrients it retains.

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I've got the fever. I seriously can't justify it though. I have no where to put it and no money to spend on it. Just like the $600 juicer I'd want to buy along with the Spinzall.

For now, I've got some SPL and a Chemex.

It just ain't the same.

Yeah, I backed the Spinzall on the first day (still hasn't arrived here yet) and ended up buying this juicer – which I've been very happy with. It even grinds nixtamalised corn for masa!

I've had good results clarifying things like quinine in water through an Aeropress (five or six times!). Because you can add pressure – the Aeropress looks like a huge syringe minus the needle – it's much faster.

• Like 1

Valuable lesson learned - batch mode - not necessary to put the feeder in the unit. Cause if you do - removing it when you are done will cloud up your results. 

Made a batch of butter, clarified frozen cherries and attempted to clarify tomato (tomato was a failure as we hadn't yet hit the brew store to buy pectic enzyme, chitosan and kiesesol). And that was all before smuggling it back across the border!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Made a batch of butter, clarified frozen cherries and attempted to clarify tomato (tomato was a failure as we hadn't yet hit the brew store to buy pectic enzyme, chitosan and kiesesol). And that was all before smuggling it back across the border!

He should have made this 10 years ago when I would have been able to come up with tons of justifications for having it even if I didn't really need it. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Had the baby still in the trunk of the car when I went to work this morning. Had brought home a half pint of heavy cream and added culture to it last night and left it on the counter. Took it along to work this morning and gave it a spin. 

IMG_6146.jpg.cade29b404f9634a4982a4b35966b88f.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg.25e7ea1a7470e25c753e887887459f1c.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg.d0a10fc8cae35776b864402a82dd5c80.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg.86663d42459d453ef8818fe8bf56b5b7.jpg

Had grabbed a baguette at the grocery store this morning - freshened it up in the CSO and served it to the nurses with cultured butter. It was a hit!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Had the baby still in the trunk of the car when I went to work this morning. Had brought home a half pint of heavy cream and added culture to it last night and left it on the counter. Took it along to work this morning and gave it a spin. 

Cultured butter trumps pea butter anytime.  Perhaps I should not have dismissed this toy so quckly. xD

Amazing what you can accomplish at work with alligators nipping at your heels. xDO.o 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Amazing what you can accomplish at work with alligators nipping at your heels. xDO.o 

Somebody that doesn't know Kerry or what all of those devices are is going to walk into her little room at work one day and think they stumbled into an episode of Breaking Bad.  :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Somebody that doesn't know Kerry or what all of those devices are is going to walk into her little room at work one day and think they stumbled into an episode of Breaking Bad.  :D

Funny - there was a new doc following me who has never worked there before - when I showed him the call room he kind of had that look on his face!

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

Oh nice. I didn't see that. Though it looks like i'll probably get a CSO first and wait for the price to drop a little before I get one. 

Don't think you are going to get a better price than that.

31 minutes ago, flippant said:

Turns out the Spinzall does MC beef jus!

On a sidenote: I had to manually construct that direct link using an old link in an email they sent with the group and post IDs switched out. Argh.

And not being a Facebook member apparently I am still locked out. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog