• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinzall - Dave Arnold's food centrifuge

blue_dolphin

Got mine - sadly going to the us rather than Canada so will have to arrange visit to @patris when I return from Dallas - I love my visits but the smuggling makes me a bit nervous at times 

• Sad 1

It was a little loud, but I didn't have the feeder cap on which according to the instruction videos I've since watched will reduce the noise quite a bit.  It was also the first use mostly out of the box (I did clean the food contact surfaces) after just skimming through the instructions so I need to make sure everything is put together properly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adey73 said:

so those who bought the first run, does it feel like a quality build?

Yes, the materials are top notch and it's heavy and even has suction cups on the bottom which I wish they'd put on food processors.

This is Cherry syrup, it fizzes too much when coke is added to it so I want to remove as much of the solids as I can.  I had a ~750 ml so I divided it into two batches, max volume for the Spinzall is  486ml.

I6ogYQ2l.jpg.0be1117541136fb9e836a5eb866135b8.jpg

After adding Pectinex Ultra SP-L & Kieselsol, waiting 15 mins, adding Chitosan, waiting 15 mins to add more Kieselsol and then waiting 30 mins, the break is clear - the left batch was spun first - the right batch continued to separate.

ulDcFJNl.jpg.74dd6e1b52a132acf93bfa63b7817983.jpg

Here the spinzall is active, spinning at 4100 rpm then 3600 rpm. I'm using batch mode for the first time - the spout on the right is for continuous mode.

0sF5bwcl.jpg.e5709bfe9d097de7f37a2feb7699a4a8.jpg

Here is the solid's left behind.

jrLV48il.jpg.bf397b6f8cc2db708a27548250321a2b.jpg

Look how much clearer the syrup is now. (I'll try to get an before and after later since I have more syrup)

KWfUA83l.jpg.0c392b9b70ee831b4df29f7be2c3f4d2.jpg

Here is the remaining solids - it tastes like cherry candy.

n94aBSgl.jpg.3cb877a47ff980bc78f68d820d82f3c4.jpg

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Raamo said:

This is Cherry syrup, it fizzes too much when coke is added to it so I want to remove as much of the solids as I can.  I had a ~750 ml so I divided it into two batches, max volume for the Spinzall is  486ml.

I6ogYQ2l.jpg.0be1117541136fb9e836a5eb866135b8.jpg

After adding Pectinex Ultra SP-L & Kieselsol, waiting 15 mins, adding Chitosan, waiting 15 mins to add more Kieselsol and then waiting 30 mins, the break is clear - the left batch was spun first - the right batch continued to separate.

ulDcFJNl.jpg.74dd6e1b52a132acf93bfa63b7817983.jpg

Here the spinzall is active, spinning at 4100 rpm then 3600 rpm. I'm using batch mode for the first time - the spout on the right is for continuous mode.

0sF5bwcl.jpg.e5709bfe9d097de7f37a2feb7699a4a8.jpg

Here is the solid's left behind.

jrLV48il.jpg.bf397b6f8cc2db708a27548250321a2b.jpg

Look how much clearer the syrup is now. (I'll try to get an before and after later since I have more syrup)

KWfUA83l.jpg.0c392b9b70ee831b4df29f7be2c3f4d2.jpg

Here is the remaining solids - it tastes like cherry candy.

n94aBSgl.jpg.3cb877a47ff980bc78f68d820d82f3c4.jpg

From what I'd read I didn't know it had a batch mode.  I thought it was only continuous.  Now, unfortunately, I want one.  How much does the thing weigh?

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

From what I'd read I didn't know it had a batch mode.  I thought it was only continuous.  Now, unfortunately, I want one.  How much does the thing weigh?

Shipping box weight is 20lbs, though it's very well packed so I'd put it around 15lbs give or take a few.  It's dense but seems about the same as our food processor or stand mixer.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 7:05 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now I want one and don't know what for.

But I clearly need this thing

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I received an email from Dave Arnold a few hours ago, apparently he saw that video I posted on Youtube and thought my Spinzall was vibrating a little too much at speed and offered to help resolve any problems.  Pretty good customer service when they contact you before you know if you have a problem or not.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Jeee Wizzzee

Id like one too

seems well built 

does stuff well that I know nothing about

Rats !

You and me both. I have just not worked up much of an appetite for pea butter. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

none the less .....

think of the stuff

we will never make !

deliciously stuff

and at the edge of the Home Envelope !

if this thing shows up 

in Modernist Bread 

Yikes !

Im going to have Visions

though out the Night