• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinzall - Dave Arnold's food centrifuge

blue_dolphin

On 05/01/2017 at 5:22 PM, EatingBen said:

Kenji seems a bit lost as to what the point of this thing is. Especially near the end haha

I have to say I'm in much the same boat, even after following the thread from start to finish. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, chromedome said:

I have to say I'm in much the same boat, even after following the thread from start to finish. 

Google lead me here: https://blog4foodies.com/2013/01/29/centrifuge-in-the-kitchen-a-buying-guide/

and here: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-new-spin-on-cooking/

Once more people have this I'm sure we'll see more innovation too.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, adey73 said:

gas anyone got the latest update after Dave's recent trip to China?

The last official update I received was on May 9th, but they did post a picture on Instagram yesterday of some pre-production units being worked on by a coder.

• Like 1

I keep thinking to myself, "If only it were $350...". I'm glad these are going to be made, but they're a bit above my pay grade for the amount of use I'd get out of it. But if I were super-paid, or if I ran a bar program, I'd totally get one. Or three (in the case of the bar program).

On 5/30/2017 at 2:47 PM, gulator said:

Sorry, not that type of food centrifuge (budget reason) But we got recently the  Hanil mini centrifuge   Basically, it is a quick food dryer for food dehydration. The tank is stainless and the cost around $150 is okay. So far so good  :B

"A multipurpose laundary and food water extractor"? 

"Food waste dehydration"?

Details please!

they have one of these in a more profession completely stainless steel model at my gym.

works well for swim suits etc small towels so they don't dampen out your gym bag on the way home.

they are not completely dry , just no longer ' very wet '

why would you ' dry out ' food waste ?

your going to have to clean out the insert and the SS cylinder it spins in.

• Like 1

Latest update - this will be in the hands of folks who ordered it in August  or September.

I'll report back results, but we have a few things in mind already :)

• 1 month later...

We got a shipping update today

It included this:

Do you have any friends or family members who missed out on the Spinzall pre-order? We have a few units left in our pre-order batch. Email service@modernistpantry.com and put "Spinzall Purchase" in the subject before August 7th, claim your Spinzall, and receive your unit as part of the pre-order first batch, directly from China. Modernist Pantry will also be creating a product page on their site. If they don’t buy now, they will have to wait till October to get one.

Here's the details on the status:

Good news! – We plan on shipping your Spinzall between August 15th and 24th. In order to get your Spinzall to you as soon as possible, we are shipping direct from China. This means that Modernist Pantry won’t have direct control of the shipping, but we at Booker and Dax will make sure that any shipping problems are solved quickly and to your satisfaction. We need you to verify your shipping address very soon (see below).

Current Status:

• Dave just got back from China where he approved all the parts for the Spinzall –The so called “Golden Samples.”
  • The testing lab has given us the Preliminary OK, and all of our materials have passed their tests for FDA compliance.
  • The Pilot Production run is finished! This means the manufacturer has verified that their assembly line can make the Spinzall to our quality specifications.
  • The First Production Run is scheduled to be finished by August 10. Although this is a bit later than we had hoped we will save a lot of time by shipping direct.
  • We have started working with someone in Hong Kong and China named Chris who is our eyes and ears in the factory and will be bird dogging everything that happens between now and when you get your Spinzall.
  • Modernist Pantry will have starter kits of enzymes and wine fining agents available by the time you receive your Spinzall.
  • We are still trying to find the best deal on transformers for our international customers.

It's almost here!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, I've just heard, has decided to cover/absorb the VAT OF 20% on the first run coming into the UK for the EU

The final preorder closes on the 7th of August.

Am torn because I want one but the £pound is still so low against the dollar.

but 20% saving is calling me....... Anyone else in the same predicament?

Edited by adey73 (log)

21 minutes ago, adey73 said:

Dave, I've just heard, has decided to cover/absorb the VAT OF 20% on the first run coming into the UK for the EU

The final preorder closes on the 7th of August.

Am torn because I want one but the £pound is still so low against the dollar.

but 20% saving is calling me....... Anyone else in the same predicament?

A difficult predicament to be in! 

I have discovered that because this first batch will be shipping directly from China that they can send it directly to me in Canada so I don't have to get involved in smuggling it across the border.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, flippant said:

Has anyone received a tracking number yet?

No tracking for me yet, I should have been in the first 500 but there was a hiccup with my payment (flagged by fraud prevention) so I may have been pushed to the back of the queue.

• Like 1

Got my tracking number just now - label has been created - looks like I'll have it next week!

Order my Spinzall pre-treatment starter kit from MP yesterday... we'll see if it can arrive in time.

I have a bunch of cherry syrup from our cherry tree waiting to be spun!